Mountain's Story

Mountain and Blossom walked up the long hill, arguing the whole way. The white tom-cat was arrogant, and infuriating, but Mountain had to admit that she enjoyed his company. He laughed easily, even through the arguments, and he seemed to respect Mountain even if he didn't say it. She decided she liked him.

The two cats drew close to the top of the hill, but before they could reach the evening out spot, a figure stepped into their path. It was a stag, with light grey fur and a web of beautiful, and sharp, antlers. "Hello" he said, his l's becoming slightly too drawled. Mountain opened her eyes wide. "You can speak cat?" she asked, a little stupidly. "Yes. I learned. Why are you here?" he asked, looking directly at them with his oddly green eyes. "We, uhm, want to settle down on this cliff. I am Mountain, this is Blossom."

The stag nodded his head. "I am Leaps-Into-Waters.This cliff is my home." he said. "Is it possible we could settle down here?" Blossom asked, stepping forward. The stag tilted his head, "Yes. But you will have to make me leave." he said, padding the ground with his hooves. The two cats glanced at eachother. "How can we get you to leave?" inquired Mountain, knowing that the two cats couldn't take down a stag, especially these particular two. The stag glanced towards the ocean, and looked back to the cats. "You may stay here if you solve my riddle." he said, and began.

"Stealthy as a shadow in the dead of night,

Cunning but affectionate if given a bite.

Never owned but often loved.

At my sport considered cruel,

But that's because you never know me at all.

What am I?"

The stag waited, padding at the ground, churning the dirt. Blossom shook his head, dumb-founded, but Mountain gazed up at the moon. She sat down, kneading her claws into the soft soil. Suddenly, her great blue eyes became bright. She purred.

"You are a cat" she meowed. Blossom looked at her as if she herself just sprouted antlers. Leaps-Into-Waters nodded, and turned around, poking his head into a hole under a tree. Out came a lovely deer, her pelt the same colour as her mate's. "This is Morning-That-Rises-Last. You have done well, Mountain. The sea wishes you good hunting." he said, before disappearing behind them down the hill.