Prologue: Sparkling Dress

"Yes, I do."

The bride whispers with a trembling but soft voice. Accompanied by a smile full of honesty and love, she looks deeply into the eyes of her future husband. In just one breath, he lets the "future" become past with a golden ring he's putting on her finger. Their new life as a married couple begins at this very moment.

Soobin can no longer hide his tears of joy at the sight of his happy mother

Soobin can no longer hide his tears of joy at the sight of his happy mother. Together with the wedding guests, he stands up to applaud the newlyweds. He looks to the left, then to the right side to observe the reactions of the others. They cheer, laugh, cry... an interplay of different emotions.

In the crowd, he also recognizes his father, who seems to be just as happy for his son's mother. When he returns Soobin's gaze, the corners of their mouths are drawn even more upwards. Jungkook nods as if he wanted to say: "Your mom deserves all happiness in the world."

And that's exactly what Soobin loves about his father. In his eyes he sees no trace of jealousy or anger, only tears of joy are shimmering. Dimples adorn Soobin's face as he looks forward to his mother again.

The sparkling wedding dress of Ji-eun attracts all eyes. A simple A-line, without much frills, but beautiful accents. The shoulder area is covered by silk knitted with small sequins. Nervously, she suddenly grabs the microphone lying on a little desk in front of her.

Embarrassed, she's looking at the floor while her smile doesn't fade for a second.

"I don't even know where to start. It's difficult for me to put my thoughts and feelings into words...but I'd like to try."

Her eyes seek refuge and stop at Soobin. He wants to take away some of her nervousness, so he whispers softly: "You can do it." She can't hear him but she understands what Soobin is willing to tell her by looking at his lips. He always manages to give her courage taking away her fear over and over again. She may be standing next to her beloved husband, but Soobin will always remain her greatest love.

"Love is the most beautiful magic and the greatest happiness that can happen to a human being. And I'm infinitely grateful to be able to spend the rest of my life with this wonderful man here right beside me."

The next words she addresses directly to Soobin's future stepfather.

"It took us years to find each other, but this long journey was worth it, and I don't want to go this path with anyone else but you."

She lovingly strokes the hand of her husband, who's moved to tears, before she turns her attention back to the audience.

"Fall in love. Allow this wonderful power to take possession of you because there's nothing more beautiful than to love and to be loved. And when you're sure that you've found that one person who completes you, never let this person go."

When his mother's gaze stops at Jungkook, Soobin begins to understand that these words are directly addressed to his father.

Since his parents separated 15 years ago, there has never been another woman at Jungkook's side. He has always been alone. Even now at the wedding he has appeared without any company. But, why actually? Soobin never really questioned it until this moment. 

Now of all times, his mother's words seem to have triggered something in his father, making him revel in memories. The thought of a certain person makes him look into the void and Soobin would love to know which person is hiding behind it.

 The thought of a certain person makes him look into the void and Soobin would love to know which person is hiding behind it

© ame3_jk

He sees pain, or even loss, in his father's eyes. Soobin just can't imagine his mother being responsible for this look. They love each other, that's out of the question, but in a different way. His parents are always very respectful and loving with each other but it's not the love of which his mother has just spoken.

Soobin has to admit that he has never seen this kind of love between his parents before. But he was still a baby...a toddler when they were together. Without a doubt, she's not the one he remembers at this very moment.

Book cover made by @_BLACKSPADESZ