Chapter 3: Sparkling Tears

[Canteen]

The conversation with Namjoon just happened a few minutes ago, and his words are buzzing around in Jungkook's head like a swarm of bees. Should he really confess to Taehyung? He feels helpless and overwhelmed by the whole situation because no one can tell him what he should do. He has to decide for himself, when, where, maybe not at all?

Lost in thought, Jungkook sits down together with Namjoon at the table with the others from BTS. Joonie skillfully avoids the question about their whereabouts with a cool quip or two. Meanwhile, Hobi, Jimin, and Yoongi have understood that something is going on that Taehyung shouldn't know about, so they just play along. Only Tae is not satisfied with Namjoon's answers but doesn't question them further.

Jungkook's lucky enough to be sitting directly opposite Taehyung. Once again, his eyes can't get away from his beauty, and his heart beats faster than ever at the thought that this handsome man might feel the same about him. What if Namjoon was right? He wants to believe him; he wants it to be true.

But what is the best way to find out? Confessing his feelings directly somehow doesn't feel right. Jungkook would rather convince himself first. And there's only one way to do that: He has to go on the offensive to see how Taehyung will react. He decides to do it directly, just speaking his mind.

"You look beautiful when you're not thinking about anything."

Taehyung, who until just now was actually just looking into the vastness of the canteen with a blank expression, looks deeply into Jungkook's eyes after hearing these words. His mouth is slightly open almost as if he doesn't believe what he just heard. As he repeats the words again in his mind, it brings a soft smile to his face. His eyes begin to sparkle, and if Jungkook isn't wrong, his cheeks even turn a little red.

He doesn't seem to be averse to this compliment, that's for sure. Jungkook returns his smile, and both look at each other silently for a few seconds, as if there were only the two of them in their own little world.

They don't even get what the others are saying or laughing about. None of that matters right now, and Jungkook has to admit to himself that it felt pretty damn good to tell Taehyung what he really thinks of him. Had he been more specific, he must have said that Taehyung always looks beautiful no matter what he's doing. He doesn't even have to try hard; he just has to exist.

"What are you talking about?" Taehyung replies shyly.

"I'm just telling the truth."

Suddenly, they are interrupted by the others and torn out of their daydream. They are reminded that they aren't alone, although it actually felt that way for a brief moment. The silence in combination with the intense eye contact has created a certain tension between the two of them, which somehow feels intimate.

The table's discussion is about the upcoming college concert that BTS will give in a few weeks. There are still many organizational things to be discussed, and the five of them really wanted to include Taehyung and Jungkook. What songs will be played and in what order? Should they change a choreo?

Taehyung and Jungkook, however, are only half listening, if at all, and are far too busy touching their feet under the table. Sometimes Jungkook puts his feet on Taehyung's; he in turn, caress Jungkook's feet with his own. They just want to keep the physical contact; they just want to be themselves.

[3 weeks later]

In the meantime, a lot has happened, and at the same time, nothing has happened at all. Did Jungkook confess his feelings to Taehyung? No! Did he tell the others from BTS? Yes! Was anyone surprised? No! The total opposite was the case. Jungkook had to hear that he was acting like a college student who was in love for the very first time and who just couldn't get his hormones under control.