Chapter 5: Sparkling Lights

Numerous sparkling lights surround the large fir-tree, which is filling the living room with a refreshing scent. Red baubles; matt, glossy, and partially decorated, embellish the dominant green. The silver star right at the top is subtle and completes the overall look of the Christmas tree. While the warm light creates a cozy atmosphere inside, the snowflakes slowly trickle down outside in the cold.

Soobin knows exactly in which order he's going to hand his father the Christmas gifts. Saving the best for last, he impatiently gives him one after the other. The scarf, the perfume...everything's unspectacular. His fingers are tingling, because the literally biggest present of the evening is still laying under the Christmas tree, just waiting to get opened by Jungkook. He's even more excited to see his father's reaction than unpacking his own gifts, which are all untouched in a pile next to him.

When the penultimate present is unwrapped, Soobin finally reaches for the giant of the evening. He can't remember the last time he felt such a great anticipation. He's almost more excited than his father, who's staring skeptically at his gift. Obviously, he has no idea what could be hidden inside.

"Okay, now I'm curious."

"As you should be."

Grinning broadly, Jungkook cuts the red ribbon to impatiently tear open the paper, printed with dozens of snowmen. For this look alone, the wrapping was already worth it. Soobin starts to laugh out loud when Jungkook holds the bare cardboard box of his speakers he recently bought.

"Wait...what?"

"I found the box in the basement and thought I might borrow it."

With a critical look, Jungkook first examines the box, then his son.

"So, that was my gift?"

"Dad! Gee, take a closer look!"

For a brief moment, Soobin is actually shocked that his father thought he was giving him a mere cardboard box. Admittedly, it would have been funny. Jungkook uses the scissors to cut the tape, which Soobin used to laboriously seal the box. The sight of a new box is making him laugh immediately. This time it's a shoebox of Jungkook's latest winter boots.

"Hahaha, Soobin, what are you doing?"

"Trust me, dad. You're not finished yet."

"Damn, what's coming next?"

Grinning, he opens this box as well. His laughter briefly fades as he slowly pulls out an unknown green box. Back then, he used to wrap Taehyung's gifts in green boxes or in green wrapping paper...but quickly he tries to suppress the upcoming memory. That doesn't belong here, after all, it's just a color.

Carefully he removes the lid just to drop it on the floor instantly at the sight of the real gift. His eyebrows shoot up while he's looking at his son fully speechless. Soobin smiles from ear to ear while giving his father a loving hug. Jungkook throws the box and its contents right away to return the embrace; hugging his son even tighter.

The note with the inscription: "We are going to Paris ♡" slides across the floor. The huge gift had the smallest content and was yet the biggest gift of the evening.

[A few days later - Soobin's room]

Full of excitement, Soobin strolls from one side of the wall to the other; from one corner to the next; holding his cell phone close to his ear. Standing still or remaining seated isn't an option for him; there's far too much adrenaline coursing through his veins. Tomorrow he'll be in Paris with his father and he still can't believe it.

"The plan is perfect, Yeonjun. Don't mess it up!"

"I know. Trust me, it will all work out. And calm down a bit, I can feel your tension up to here."