Chapter 4: Sparkling Stars

The darkness increases the closer Soobin gets to his home. The early eclipse is typical for the winter, and it's not even 6:00 pm. The sun, which was shining just a moment ago, disappeared, and the first stars can be seen in the cloudless sky.

It has already stopped snowing for a while, which is why the roads are mostly clear again. Only the mud splashes onto the sidewalk as soon as cars drive along, and every now and then, Soobin is kicking thoughtfully against some small mounds of snow appearing sporadically on the flattened snow cover.

Then he finally reaches his destination, thinking that the way didn't seem that long this time. His thoughts about Jungkook's past have a firm grip on him, like he's not able to think about anything else. It will be difficult to act normal as soon as he enters the house. He looks into the small kitchen window, which is covered by white curtains.

His father seems to be preparing dinner, seeing the black silhouette in constant motion. Soobin watches Jungkook without moving a step forward. Somehow, a strange feeling takes over, as if he wouldn't know anything about his father at all. He has carried such a big secret for years, and Soobin feels terrible for not noticing sooner. His dad is unhappy and has been all along; there's no doubt about it.

 His dad is unhappy and has been all along; there's no doubt about it

Quietly, he turns the house key entering the hallway. Usually, he would have called out that he's home by now, but he feels that his voice could break any moment. He tries to swallow the lump in his throat, but it's stuck and doesn't come loose even a little. Then he silently enters the kitchen watching the back of his father as he's cutting fresh peppers. He doesn't seem to have noticed his sons return.

When Jungkook turns around after a few minutes, he drops the spoon he just used to taste the sauce.

"Soobin, damn it! Say something next time!"

In fact, the sight of his anxious yet clumsy father brought a smile to Soobin's face, which is directly reciprocated by Jungkook.

"Yes, yes. Go ahead and laugh; you did that on purpose."

Unimpressed, Jungkook turns around again, shaking his head while smiling. He dedicates his full attention back to his pan-fried vegetables, which are simmering away.

"I love you, Dad."

In seconds, Jungkook stops any actions looking at Soobin in wonder. It's been quite a while since he last heard those words from him. He's surprised and happy at the same time.

"I love you too, but...are you okay?"

This confusion amuses Soobin and reminds him that Jungkook hasn't been completely alone these past few years. They were always together, and he tried his best to be a good son. He wants to give him back all the good years he gave him as a father. He wants him to find his happiness again and there's only one person who can help: Uncle Namjoon.

"I'm fine. Just wanted to tell you that."

Not wanting his father to elaborate further, Soobin disappears from the doorway, leaving plodding footsteps that accompany the room for a short while until he finally reaches his room, pulling the door shut behind him.