二十八 (Twenty-Eight)

(Elle's POV)

"You sure this place is safe?"

"Italian approved." Kintaro said as we all stood in the foyer.

"You mean Italian owned."

"Yes."

"Maybe we should invest in having a safe house in every state too." Shiro said.

"We do. You just don't know it." Seiichi smirked.

The safe house was about four hours from the city and the prison. It was a long and tense car ride. Due to the amounts of seats, or lack thereof, I had to sit on Koan's lap the whole way. I was worried about his injured thigh, so I didn't my best to avoid sitting directly on it.

They put Renzo beside Koan, still not knowing how he'd react or what his mental...stability was. I assured them that he'd be fine, but I honestly wasn't sure.

He'd stayed with his head buried against me and cried for over ten minutes before stopping. Since then he'd been tense and...emotionless.

"There's only two bedrooms, so we'll have work sleeping arrangements out. One of the guys is packing up some clothes and stuff from the house to bring us. He's bringing Damien with him so we'll get some answers and know where to go from here."

"You and mom can have the biggest bedroom." Seiichi said, the other three agreeing with nods.

"I was told that there may be some clothes to fit us here already, so how about we shower and get cleaned up? After that we can sit together and figure everything out?"

Seiichi and Shiro went to shower first. Seiichi went to the master bathroom to shower while Shiro went to the smaller bathroom. The rest of them explored the house a bit more.

I dragged Koan to the kitchen to get some food in him, not knowing when he last ate. I kept it simple and made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk. He made no fuss or argument when I told him to eat it.

I was partially leaning across the island watching him as he finished and pushed the plate back over to me.

"One." He spoke quietly.

"One more?"

He nodded once.

I made him another sandwich and happily watched as he ate all of it. I looked up when I saw movement by the doorway and found Kintaro watching us.

"A minute, please."

I looked at Koan and he gave me a small nod so I followed Kintaro out to the living area.

"Has he said anything?" Kintaro asked quietly.

"No."

Kintaro sighed.

"What happened in there?" I asked.

"We don't know. We got separated for a brief period of time and then...then we found him. He was all bloody and wouldn't say a word. Then Shiro touched his shoulder and he...well you saw."

"How did you get separated?" I asked.

"The fire." Kenji said, joining our conversation.

I felt myself tense up.

"The fire?"

He nodded. "The ceiling collapsed between us and separated us. We had to find an alternate route while they continued on."

"They? Who was with him? One of you?"

"No, Masaki was with him."

"Where is he now? Where is Masaki?"

"We don't know. We'd like to, but only one person can answer that question."

It was much later when everyone had showered and was in clean clothes that we gathered in the living room. After learning that Masaki had been with Koan, I was afraid to learn the truth of what happened. I'm not sure I wanted to know.

Renzo and Colten found a bunch of blankets and pillows in the hall closet and dragged them all to the living room. Kintaro and Izumi would take the big bedroom which left the other bedroom up for grabs.

"Koan and Elle should get the other bedroom." Kenji said.

The others agreed and I looked to Koan for an answer. I didn't receive one.

"We'll take it. Thank you." I smiled softly.

"Damien should be here by morning. Everyone needs to get some sleep."

"I'll check your wounds over in the morning," Doc said. "Or Elle can. Whichever."

I grabbed Koan's hand in mine and pulled him to the bedroom. He sat against the headboard in the middle of the bed and pulled me between his legs, my back against his front.

"Koan,"

"Hm."

"Please."

"Please?"

"Please tell me what happened. Even if it's the bare minimum."

He tensed and wrapped his arms tightly around me, anchoring me to him.

"I know...I know Masaki was...with you when you got separated. He's not here now so...so I know something happened. The others do too."

He buried his face against my shoulder and took several deep breaths. Feeling like he was about to cry again, I broke free from his grasp and turned. I draped my legs across the very tops of his thighs and got as close as possible, pressing our chest against each other.

I cupped his face in my hands as I looked into his eyes.

"He...was there." He whispered.

"You don't mean prison, do you?"

"No."

"With...with us? The other us? That's what you mean, right?"

He nodded.

"When you...when you died alone and I...I never came back, he was there and I..."

"What?"

"I think he's responsible."

~~~~~
A/N:

Short, I know, but necessary.

Are you ready for the next chapter and for some explanations?

Last thoughts on the Masaki and Koan situation? Present and past?

Till then,

B.