2.

Dawn DrakosPortland, Seattle

Dawn Drakos
Portland, Seattle
. . .

It was worse than I'd expected.

Ares was on top of the table, his shirt vanished, while New Edition "Mr. Telephone Man" boomed throughout the speakers, and spilled from his lips as he sang alone.

A few years ago, Ares went through countless talent shows performing every chance he gets, making it so far that he cut his hair into a mullet, thinking he was gonna join a boy band.

I'd never seen my mother more horrified. Ares crashed his car, fell off the roof of our four-story home into the rose bush, and somehow his hair was my mother's concern. Then I learned that hair and appearance in our household were top priorities.

The universe had a sense of humor, all right, and it was a shitty one.

I took a large sip of the rich red wine, I was stranded here, the horrible weather drifted away leaving behind hot humid weather. Like the hot, sticky embarrassment coating my skin. I felt it the moment I stepped out of Roman's car.

"No stars tonight?" I spoke to myself, my gaze stretched so far looking up to the empty sky. The smell of the pool water filled my nose.

From the way Ares, leaned down to kiss the blonde from the counter, happy hour just started and I wanted nothing more than to go home and cuddle with Loki, my Golden retriever.

"Cepheus," The voice was smooth.

The man's presence brushed my side as he stood beside me. Low cut dark hair, chocolate skin, under the moon like he looked so similar to a god. "Cepheus is right there,"

He pointed to where my gaze was, with a dark blue sky looking back at me. Squinting my eyes, I can see it just a bit.

"I think I see it," I pointed to where our gaze was stuck, in the corner of my eye I watched his lips lift into a smile.

Moving my hand a little too right not looking over my shoulder as I spoke, "And there?"

His eyes sparkled, "Perseus,"

I knew so little about the constellation, my father would take me on to the roof as a child and point them out to me. Knowing this man knew just enough about them made something in my stomach dance.

A sigh escaped my lips. My head was light, my thoughts consumed by the alcohol I have been keeping company since I entered this party.

"You not having fun?" He asked.

"I am. Honestly, I was dreading coming here tonight," He laughed. The sound was rich and warm, he laughed like Chris Evans.

"How do you know so much about the constellation?" I asked.

"Little town, big sky with a mind filled with imaginations,"

"Cute, now tell me the truth," I blinked, trying to understand if it was the third glass of wine talking, or did Roman get to me that badly?