12.

Dawn DrakosSeattle, Washington

Dawn Drakos
Seattle, Washington.
. . . 

Something about the calmness after a storm made everything else seem surreal. 

Forty-eight hours ago, I'd been curled up on Roman's sofa in New York, crying enough tears like I heard One Direction was breaking up again for the first time. 

Now, I had the same feeling. My nose wrinkled looking at The Seattle Times magazine for the hundred times since it had been delivered to my house this morning. Using the word sister to describe what she is to me only makes the words die in my mouth and turn into ash. 

I press the pads of my thumbs into my eye socket and sighed. Even not looking at the magazine I still could describe it in full detail. 

The light pink dress Iris is wearing somehow always looks pretty whenever she wore it, the way her tone arms wrapped around Aaron's defined torso. He was smiling looking down at her, while they probably spoke about how miserable they made my life. The photographer got such a great picture it made me sick. 

I turned my phone off the moment I woke up to nearly two hundred notifications. I didn't want to hear her apologies or the countless texts from my mother practically threatening me to answer the phone.

For a moment I just wanted to be alone. 

I sighed, taking a bite of the red-hearted macaroons I baked. I didn't have to look in a mirror to know I looked like something crawled in me and died. Dark circles under my eyes, flour across my skin and hair. I had been baking since this morning. 

One batch of chocolate chip cookies, red-hearted macaroons, and a banana bread cake with chocolate chips are in the oven. Aslyn said I baked when I was stressed and I know Loki was agreeing with her. 

"Don't judge me, I can be sad if I want," I tossed a look at Loki, golden fur lay across the light hardwood floor in the kitchen.  "You're supposed to comfort me, y'know," 

I try to add a pep in my voice. If I acted as if I was okay, then I'll be okay. Even talking to my dog it's okay to pretend. 

Even Loki didn't seem convinced at my response, and it wasn't like he could argue anyway. I took another macaroon from the plate before moving toward the living room. 

I spent the last forty-eight hours not only ignoring my family but trying to think what the hell to say to Roman If I said anything at all. 

I thanked him for what he did that day/ night, whatever time of the day it was but I thanked him. Thinking of it, the way he held my hand and rubbed my back as I cried, he didn't interrupt once and in a matter of hours, I felt like I was finally being heard and not just seen. 

I didn't know if he called or reached out in that matter because I refuse to even look at my phone. Not that I shouldn't expect anything else. Roman has important things to do than babysit me. He runs a company for Pete's sake!