11

Astryn didn't flinch when Amren cut her to use her blood for the spell. She didn't react much when the spell worked either, revealing where her mother was and that she was very much still alive.

"We can have hope for a more positive outcome but the fact that she's alive indicates she was involved in your imprisonment," Mor warned sympathetically, "you should be prepared for the worst."

"When do we go to her?" Astryn inquired, not acknowledging what Mor had said. She didn't know what to say to it.

"You should stay behind," Rhys spoke up, "she's in the Hewn City. Some of the others involved in this are there as well and you're incapable of protecting yourself and we shouldn't risk it."

"I mean no disrespect, High Lord," Astryn began, and Rhys nearly flinched are her addressing him by his title, "but I refuse to stay behind. This is my mother. I want to be there."

"It's not safe," Rhys spoke softly, "that place is vile, Astryn."

"I'm not unfamiliar with vile places," she reminded him, and the shadows clinging to her swirled comfortingly against her skin.

Rhys was quiet for a moment, staring at her like he expected the frail-looking girl to suddenly change her mind. She didn't, so Rhys looked to Cassian.

"You do not leave her side," he instructed sternly, "I don't care what happens down there, Cassian, nothing makes you leave her side. Not for even a second."

Rhys could feel Azriel glaring at him. He ignored him.

"Of course," Cassian agreed to it without hesitation, eyes darting from Azriel to Rhys.

Rhysand turned his attention to his sister now, his tone softening as he spoke, "I need you to stay with Cassian while we're down there. Don't wander away from him for any reason. I trust him more than anyone in the world to keep you safe."

Azriel scoffed, not even intending to make the sound out loud but unable to stop it from slipping out.

"I mean no disrespect, Cassian, I'm certain you're perfectly capable and lovely, but I would rather stay with Azriel," Astryn said softly, so kind and polite, "I'm more familiar with him."

Azriel had to resist the urge to smile.

"Azriel is a better option anyway," Mor chimed in, "considering whatever is going on with the shadows. I don't doubt the two of you could communicate through them without saying a word. It makes more sense."

Rhys couldn't find an argument against that. It did make more sense, but he didn't like it.

"Alright," he conceded, though he spoke different words to Azriel's mind.

Tread carefully, Azriel, he warned simply, only to be shoved right back out of the shadowsinger's mind without Azriel even glancing in his direction.

"Are we leaving now?" Astryn asked, eyes darting around the room before settling on Azriel. He wouldn't look at her. He hadn't since Rhys came in.

"If you're ready," Rhys answered, to which his sister nodded.

They left the house and then Rhys and Mor winnowed the group to the Hewn City. Astryn was tense when they arrived, sticking close to Azriel's side. Azriel sent a message to her through the shadows.

Your scent is glamoured so no one here knows you're Rhysand's sister, the shadows gave her the message for him, we want to keep that hidden for now. The more people know, the more dangerous things will be for you.

Astryn nodded, and the shadows caressed her lovingly as if to try to ease the tension in her. This time when they whispered to her, the message was their own instead of one from Azriel.