20

Astryn was disoriented when she woke up. The last thing she remembered was Eris picking her up from where Killan had left her on the floor.

She was in a different room now, and on the bed next to hers, Lucien was perched staring intently at her. He wore of a look of sadness and fear that she thought shouldn't ever be on any child's face. She could still only see out of one eye, but even with that she could still see that expression and ache over it.

"I thought you were going to die," Lucien muttered, squirming slightly where he sat. "One of the healers told me that if you died, your brother would come kill everyone here."

"Little Lucien," Astryn spoke softly, "I'd never allow him to lay a hand on you."

The child gave a tentative smile, scooting a little closer to her.

"I worried about you, not just 'cause 'a what would happen if you died. I don't want you to die. You're my friend," he said with a pout. "You're the only person in this whole place that played with me. I want you to be alive."

"I won't be dying any time soon, little one," she assured him, despite knowing it might not be true.

The shadows swirled around her at just the thought and Lucien's russet eyes widened in wonder and a bit of fear. He hadn't ever seen shadows move like that, like they had a mind of their own. He was curious, but he feared what they could do.

"They're friendly," Astryn mumbled, "be kind, and they will be too."

"Can I touch them?" he requested, and Astryn forced herself to focus.

After a bit of mental exhaustion on Astryn's part to make it happen, a shadow slithered to Lucien. His hand went right through it and he giggled.

"It's cold," he commented gleefully, "I like it."

"They're quite lovely," she told him, though her voice was more strained now she was so tired and in so much pain. The shadows were quiet in their concern, curling and wrapping around her lightly as if they thought they could fix all of this somehow.

Lucien stared at her, a frown on his face as he saw just how much pain she was suffering.

"I'm sorry Killan was mean to you," Lucien apologized for things that weren't his fault. "He's a big, stupid jerk."

Astryn took in a rattling breath, trying hard not to cry.

"If the Night Court's High Lord...or anyone from there ever comes for me, little Lucien, I need you to stay with your mother and Eris. No harm will come to you, but Rhysand can be a bit scary. Just close your eyes if he scares you. Close your eyes and imagine yourself at the happiest and safest you've ever felt."

Lucien was sad. He was sad at the idea of Astryn going away, and he was even more sad at the thought of her staying here. His brother would surely end her life if she stayed here. But if she went away, Lucien knew he would probably never see her again. He doubted he'd ever have any reason to go to the Night Court.

"I wish Killan wasn't such a big jerk and you could stay here," Lucien mumbled, eyes full of so much sadness. "I don't want to be alone here."

"I'm sorry," she apologized softly, and he shook his head.

It was quiet for a few moments after that until Killan came in, sending a glare to his youngest brother.

"Out," he ordered harshly, and Lucien glared right back at him.

"No," Lucien said, and the fury that flashed through Killan's eyes was like no other.

"It's okay, Lucien," Astryn assured him, "go play."

Lucien hesitated, but he got up and left after a few seconds. And then Killan and Astryn were alone. There was nothing but tense silence for a few seconds before Killan spoke.

"I'm sorry," he told her, and it almost sounded sincere. "I didn't mean to get so carried away. I let my jealousy get the better of me. But now that you're aware of what happens when you provoke me by running around with Eris, I hope you don't do it again."

"I didn't mean to provoke you," she responded, her words chosen carefully, "I'm sorry."

Killan seemed satisfied with that response. He gave a nod and a sickening smile before he turned and left. The shadows curled around Astryn as soon as Killan was gone, and her lips tilted up into as much of a smile as she could manage with how wrecked her face was her when they whispered to her.

Prick, they said mockingly, so much resentment for Killan in that one word.

"Indeed," Astryn muttered, letting her eyes drift shut.

It was quiet and still for a few moments before the shadows moved again, caressing her face lovingly.

Your mate is coming, they informed her happily, prompting nothing but confusion.

She hadn't ever been told anything about mates. It was something her captors decided she didn't need to know about. She wouldn't have a mate anyway. She had a husband lined up for her since the moment it was determined that she was going to be a girl. She wouldn't have a mate, so she didn't need to know mates even existed.

"What does that even mean?" she asked the shadows. Was mate just another word for husband? Was Killan coming back so soon? She doubted it would be for any good reason if he was.

Your mate is coming, they repeated eagerly, he's coming for you. And he's going to kill that prick.

"What's a mate? And who is he?" Astryn pressed, entirely confused by this whole thing. Whoever he was, she knew the one he was going to kill was her husband. She wasn't one for violence, but she had no problem with Killan's death. She just wanted to know who was going to kill him. Who her supposed mate was. And what a mate was in general. "Who is he?" she asked again when they didn't answer.

They swirled against her gently, calmingly and spoke with joy.

Azriel.