𝐈 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮//𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐨𝐧

I Love You//Charlie Dalton

Movie: Dead Poets Society (1989)

Warnings: Spoilers for the movie mentioned above. Mentions of death.

1961

"Want anything to drink?," you heard Charlie ask from above you

"Want anything to drink?," you heard Charlie ask from above you. You felt the vibration of his words permeate throughout his chest which your head laid upon. You peered up to look at him, to see his usual smirk placed upon his lips before you told him yes.

"What'll it be?," he asked, stopping at the doorway of his bedroom. You shrugged at his second question, feeling a smile creep its way onto your lips.

"Surprise me...," you responded, making him let out a small laugh before disappearing down the stairs.

It wasn't the first time that you had been in Charlie's room, but it was the first time that you had been alone in it. This gave you time to really look around and absorb all of the tiny details of the space that you spent so much time in with the boy you were falling in love with.

There were vinyl records, lounge clothes, cologne, and other knick knacks scattered about, but in the sea of disorganized items, your eyes settled on the small collection of photographs, displayed in a uniform fashion on his dresser.

You took in the sight of smiles, laughter, and apparent camaraderie in the pictures of Charlie with a group of boys. You noticed an older man as well, a seemingly proud smile etched so delicately upon his lips.

You noticed another picture as well, one of just Charlie and a slightly taller boy. You noticed a sweetness in his smile, and a hopefulness in his eyes. There seemed to be a genuineness in his heart that was apparent in the way he embraced Charlie. His dark eyes and eyebrows gave him a look of innocence; one that you thought probably made people trust him, even if they didn't really even know him.

You ran your fingers softly over the photo, too entranced in the look of happiness in Charlie's eyes to even notice that he had come back.

"Whatcha got there?," you heard his voice sound, pulling you out of your trance. You looked up to see him holding a glass of lemonade in his hand, meeting your gaze as you finally noticed him.

"Who's this?," you asked curiously as you held the picture up so that he could see. When his eyes looked over it, an immediate change washed over him. His usual lighthearted demeanor shifted into an almost rigid and ruminative state. He slowly walked over to you, handing you the glass of lemonade before sliding the picture out of your hands and putting it back in its original place.

He walked over to his bed sitting down and shifting his gaze towards the window in silence. You suddenly became worried that you had upset him in some way. Sitting the glass down, you walked over to sit beside him. You softly placed a hand on his shoulder, fearful that he might flinch away, but he didn't. He looked down at his lap before finally looking up at you, with glassy eyes.

"His name is Neil...he's-...was, a friend of mine at my old school, Welton Academy...he's dead...," he explained, murmuring out the last bit. You immediately felt an impending wave of sadness take over your body as you registered the fact that the boy in the photo was dead. You glanced back over at it, seeing that hope that you noticed in his eyes be replaced by a longing for something that was too far out of reach.

"Charlie...I'm so sorry, I didn't know...," you let out prudently, wanting to find the best words that you could to comfort him. You leaned your head down on his shoulder, grabbing his hand in yours and embracing him with the other. You heard him let out a sniffle, and seeing him in such a vulnerable state broke you inside compared to his usual stoic demeanor.

"It's okay...," he began, reaching up to wipe a stray tear from his eye. "It feels like a lifetime ago. I'm alright, really...," he finished, adding on the last part when he noticed the knowing look that you gave him.

You stayed in a comfortable silence, admiring the way that the colors of the setting sun were painted across the sky from the window. Charlie seemed to be staring at the same thing; that was until you reached down for his hand, interlocking your fingers together, seemingly knocking him out of the trance. He turned to you looking down at the way your hand fit so perfectly in his. He knew for sure in that moment that what he had been feeling in his heart was real.

"You know you can always talk to me right?," you asked him, causing him to smile again. Suddenly, he placed a finger under your chin, sealing your lips together in a sweet kiss.

"I know...because I love you," he let out after he pulled away. He let out a light chuckle at the mixture of shock and pleasure on your face.

"Oh, I love you too Charlie!," you responded by throwing your arms around his neck. He hugged you back, closing his eyes at the feeling of the one he loved in his arms, content in knowing that you loved him back.

A/n: I wrote this directly after another time watching the movie. My favorite character for sure. I also had to fight the urge to make Charlie be like, "dammit y/n, it's Nuwanda," but obviously that wouldn't have made sense for the plot. Lol, if ya' know, ya' know. ; )

 ; )