the blame

(p.s. the photo is a very rough visual aid of how i imagine the layout of the Harrington house, i just thought it would be helpful for the other visual people :))

when you see Steve you let go of Eddie's hand and turn to close the front door. "is everything alright?" Steve says breaking the silence once he's assessed the expressions that is shared across yours and Eddie's faces. you walk in to the living room and sit down with Eddie who's already sat down. "Chrissy Cunningham was found dead this morning." you say in a low, calm voice avoiding eye contact. although you didn't classify Chrissy as one of your 'friends' anymore, you did before you started hanging out with Robin, Nancy, and everyone but you had known Chrissy since kindergarten and she had always been a very kind girl, whatever happened, whoever did this, she did not deserve it.

"oh shit.." Steve replies quietly under his breath, "do you know what happened?", before you can answer Steve's questions, Eddie finally breaks from his silent thoughts, "this is all my fault. i was supposed to pick her up, i was supposed to sell her.." he stops his sentence short, one solitary tear falls from his eye, wetting a small area of fabric on the couch cushion he has clutched in his arms. "this is all my fault." he murmured one more time, quieter than before. "woah woah woah, Eddie whatever happened is not your fault." Steve insists, trying his best to convince Eddie even though he had no idea what was going on. "if you we're there.. who knows what could've happened to you." you add. Eddie turns to you as you speak and you see the tears pooling in his eyes. you carefully place your hand on his cheek, holding it there. "this was not your fault." Eddie leans into the warmth of your hand, closing his eyes, forcing more tears to fall. you use your thumb to gently wipe his tears away.

you notice that Eddie is starting to calm down in the comfort of your touch. "how about i make us some tea? yea?" you say softly. "uh yea, that would be nice, thank you." Eddie responds in a broken voice. you look at Steve who's standing behind the couch as you get up to walk to the kitchen and he follows you. "holy shit!" Steve exclaims. "shhhh, don't be so loud." you whisper. "sorry." you both stay hushed as you fill steve in on what the police told you. "wait so did Eddie kill her??" Steve claims. "what? no! are you even listening to what i'm saying? Eddie was here last night, at our house okay, but the death of chrissy happened at his trailer. god i feel like i'm talking to a brick wall sometimes.". "sorry. give me a break, this is a lot to digest at once." Steve pleads. by the time you fill in Steve, the tea is ready and you bring some out to Eddie, he looks much calmer now. hes sat up looking at the cover of the magazines on the table you place the mug on the table in front of him making him break out of his gaze. "oh thank you." he says forcing a smile but when his eyes meet yours, the smile becomes more genuine. Eddie scoots over and you take a seat next to him. you hear Steve's footsteps recede down the hallway and his bedroom door close. you break the silence with Eddie. "so i was thinking, since you can't go back to your trailer now, you could stay here for a while. steve and I'll be here if you need us. you'd be safe, you could sleep in my room, I'll stay on the couch. if you wanted, im sure i can get you a job at the movie store." a smile spreads across Eddie's face "wait really, are you sure?", "i'm positive.", "thanks y/n.". you exchange smiles and finish your tea.

you get up to clean up the kitchen, after a few minutes Eddie comes in. "hey y/n, would it be alright if i took a shower?", "yea of course, just use my ensuite bathroom.", "okay cool, thank you.". once youve finished cleaning up, you go to Steve's room. "knock, knock. can i come in?", "yea." Steve calls out. you walk in and sit down, "so Eddie's going to stay here since he can't go home right now.", "uh okay, but have you spoken to mum about this, you know she doesn't leave until tomorrow.", "i think she'll understand, plus if something 'dodgy' is going on or someone went there last night to kill Eddie, i want him to be somewhere safe.", "hmm, why do you care so much about Eddie?" Steve says raising his eyebrows up and down. you instantly get defensive, "because he's my friend and i don't want to find him dead somewhere okay?", Steve smiles at your reply, "sure that's the only reason?", "what exactly are you trying to get at? huh." Steve just laughs and then his face instantly changes."wait doesnt Max live in the trailer park?", "yea what about it?", "well you're friends with her arent you y/n?" you nod. "so why don't you go there and find out if she saw anything last night.", "holy shit. look at you having a good idea for once." Steve throws a pillow at you, making you laugh. "shit, i have a shift with robin to work today, plus i dont think its the greatest idea for me to go there as i was with, like the number one suspect.", Steve catches on to what you're saying, "you want me to go don't you?" you smile. "fine but it'll have to be later in the day.", "that's completely fine, you're amazing.", "yea, yea i know now leave my room.". you walk out of his room, closing the door behind you and walk towards your room to get ready for work and to let Eddie know that you have to go to work. when you open the door you see Eddie walking out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist and him vigorously drying his hair with another. you stare in awe as you watch the water droplets roll down his chest and then immediately cover your eyes "omg im so sorry, i thought you would've been done by now. uh just let me know when you're done.". you close the door and rush out to the kitchen feeling the apples of you cheeks turn hot as they become bright red.

word count: 1102

hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. im going to branch off from the shows story line a little bit because it just wont work properly but im going to try and make it as close to and as exciting as the show. be sure to share your thoughts on the story, id love to hear what everyone is thinking so far. stay safe and have a wonderful day.