one - freedom day

"Shots shots shots!"

Mae cringes as she downs another fireball, shuddering at the taste. She doesn't even like cinnamon! Why does she let her friends talk her into this!?

Oh right.

"You're free!" They cheer.

Mae smiles proudly, blushing. She is free. After almost 9 years of service, she was officially discharged from the Army, as of today. She couldn't be happier, in all honesty. She had the bright idea to join after med school and she's heavily regretted it everyday since - but she got to help a lot of people and that's all she cares about.

"To me. Being free and jobless and already having a pension." She slurs.

Her friends laugh and drink. She finds herself in the bathroom, staring at herself in the mirror with her cold eyes. There hasn't been life in them for a while, how can there be after what she's seen? She splashes some water on her face and dries her hands, heading back out to the bar.

"Hey little lady."

Mae suppresses a sigh, trying to ignore the sleezebag.

"Awh cmon." His hand touches her arm.

Mae slaps it away, turning to glare. "I wouldn't." She warns.

He smiles, several teeth missing - of course. "Cmon pretty lady, just a touch." He stands, towering over her.

Mae glares. Several of her friends square up behind her and the man slowly shrinks. "That's what I thought." Mae smirks, turning away. All of a suddenly there's a commotion and she gasps as she feels a glass shatter over her shoulder, her friends leaping into action. A full on brawl ensues, Mae ducking as several bottles and fists fly. She internally groans - her friends are all very over protective, very large soldiers with a lot of issues they like to take out on other people.

"Enough enough!" Mae yells, wedging herself between them. "I'm okay!"

"No you're not." Ty frowns, climbing over the mess to grab her arm gently, turning her to examine her shoulder better. "We need a doctor."

"I am a doctor, moron." She tuts.

"Can I help?"

Wowza, hello, Mae thinks as she sees the stranger approaching. He's tall, darker skinned. He has the most brilliant blue eyes... "Um uh-" She stutters.

"Yes, please. Sit." Ty orders, moving her to a stool.

Mae sighs. "I'm more than qualified-"

The stranger gives a lopsided smile as he's handed a first aid kit. He examines the scarce contents smirking. "Humour me. My Lexus is parked out front, in the trunk you'll find a med bag." He says, handing the keys to Ty who nods quickly and rushes out.

Mae rolls her eyes, trying to shrug her sweater off. "I got it, honest, just gimme some - Ow Ow." She hisses as the glass gets tugged at.

The stranger instantly reaches out and holds her shoulder still. "Don't. Get me some scissors." He orders.