fifteen - pressure

Jackson walks up and down the corridor, bored and impatient. Mae is in PT, then she's going for x-rays and scans and a bunch of other shit. He's trying to be supportive but this shit is getting boring after 2 weeks. He kinda thought recovery would be easier...

"There you are."

Jackson freezes mid-step. "Mom..." He slowly turns to face Catherine Fox. Mom.

Catherine crosses her arms. "You've been avoiding my calls. Which either means you don't want me to know something or you don't want me to know someone." She quirks a brow. "Why are we in physical therapy?"

Jackson takes a deep brow. "Uh..."

"It's a girl isn't it?" She challenges. "You've met someone else. That ISN'T your step sister or some ditzy firefighter."

Jackson scratches his neck. "M-maybe." He nods.

"And what's wrong with this one?" She rolls her eyes.

He tuts. "Mom!"

"What!" Catherine holds her hands up.

Jackson sighs and bites his cheek. "She's a veteran. Injured in the field, okay? She's just had surgery."

"Poor thing." Catherine shakes her head. "But that doesn't mean you can stop your career."

"I haven't- what?" He frowns.

"You've stopped operating." She points out.

"For 2 weeks, yeah, she needs support." He scowls.

"And you plan on operating when?"

Jackson doesn't answer.

"Right. See? You've never done this before, baby, she's just a girl." She sighs and begins to pace. "You get all wrapped up in your head over the closest girl to open her-"

"Don't you finish that thought." He threatens, glaring. "She's not just the closest girl, she's THE girl. She's amazing, mom, and I love her."

"You loved Maggie. And Victoria. April. Stephanie." Cathering puts her hands on her hips.

"Robert. Richard. Marcus. Anthony. Kevin-"

"Don't you list my dating history!" She gasps glaring.

He smirks. "Sorry, double standard there no?" He shakes his head. "You are so selfish mom. Honestly. I tell you I love the girl and you throw every ex girlfriend at me, why?" He crosses his arms.

Catherine sighs. "You're my ba-"

"Don't use that 'you're my baby' crap, mother." He scoffs. "You just hate that you didn't get control once again."

"I don't - I'm not- it isn't about control! It's about your happiness!" She sighs and throws her hands up.

"I am happy! For the first time in a long time mom, I. Am. Happy." He rubs his forehead. "And you're making me not so happy right now."

Catherine stares at her son. "I don't want you to lose yourself, baby."

Jackson sighs. "I'm not mom. See... you..." He sighs, not sure how to say this without hurting her. He takes a deep breath. "You didn't know how to handle me. I wasn't difficult but you weren't a good mother, not when it counted. You made sure I was fed, clothed, educated. But you didn't comfort me. You didn't know how. This, what I'm doing, taking the time off work to help her... its what you do for the ones you love. When it was Richard, you wanted to send him to a facility. I'm not like that."

Catherine stares in shock. "That's unfair." She manages to say.

Jackson shakes his head. "I don't mean it in a bad way, mom, I adore you. You're the greatest mom and I love you a lot. But you don't understand. Its not in your nature."