sixteen - just in case

Jackson leans on the bench outside the hospital, down the side where the ambo's wait, and stares into space

Jackson leans on the bench outside the hospital, down the side where the ambo's wait, and stares into space. He's just had a long call with his lawyer about what will happen if April leaves and tries to take Harriet; put simple, he's going for full custody. And he's both thrilled and terrified at the same time.

Firstly, his life will be totally different. Work would have to be his second, she'd be his first.

Second, his relationship will change drastically. Mae has never openly expressed her desire for kids and may choose to end things if Harriet becomes a permanent fixture. That's something he really hopes doesn't happen but has to mentally prepare for - just on case.

He looks up as he sees Mae walking slowly, calculating each step to hide her subtle limp. "Good morning."

"Hi. How was the lawyer?" She asks, smiling as she grabs his hand and leans on him.

He walks slow alongside her as they head in; it's her first shift back, a short 8 hour cover to ease back in. He took the morning off for the meeting and has only just got to work, too. "It was uh... insightful. Think I can make a play for full custody." He slowly says.

"If the door opens then do it." Mae agrees.

Jackson raises a brow. "You're okay with that?"

Mae pauses and grabs his other hand, looking up at him. "You realise I knew what I was getting into when I met you right? She isn't a new fixture." She kisses his right hand. "You gotta do what you gotta do and I'm here to tag along for the ride and support you. Whatever you decide."

"And it doesn't... scare you?" He frowns a little. "That she may be around a lot more?"

"She's an alright kid, I can't complain. You know I help as much as I can and that won't change." She shrugs.

Jackson kisses her deeply. "You're an angel. You know that?"

Mae giggles a little. "Just looking for more ways to ruin your life." She teases.

"Don't let mom hear you, she'll melt in satisfaction." He jokes as they begin to walk again.

"And I may cry with joy." Mae jokes. Her and Catherine Fox are NOT on good terms. They tried dinner but... it was more of a 'avoid the flying cutlery' incident.

"Remember to take it easy. Sit down as much as you can. And-"

"I know I know I knoooow." Mae sings and shoves him off. "Get lost Avery."

"You ass." He smirks and shakes his head as he goes the opposite way.

"Love you!" She calls.

He throws up a peace sign.

Mae smiles and heads to change before heading to the pit. She's running it for the shift; stressful mentally, not necessarily physically. It goes pretty well... until a bus crashes and 15 patience all come in at once.