IV

Nerves finally taking over, Penelope started picking at her thumb. It was at the point where it could bleed if she picked it wrong, but she couldn't help it. She was meeting the rest of what will be Torchwood today.

It wasn't in the actual location as Jasper thought it might overwhelm her.

She still hadn't been anywhere besides the park and her house. And the shop one time, but they don't talk about that anymore.

So, this covert location was supposed to help her. But the comforting atmosphere of the cafe came over a little suffocating when she thought about it too hard.

Jasper walked up next to her, both of their backs warmed by the sun as she hid by the window.

"They're going to be here soon."

"Why couldn't they have gotten here first, saved me the nerves of waiting. I was fine when I got here, Jasp, fine."

"You are still fine Penelope."

"I am a mess." She was looking at the door intently, and there was a slight lift in Jasper's chest as he watched the corners of her eyes. She was nervous, yes - and perhaps a little bit of a mess right now - but she was going to be perfect.

"You're not a mess, you're just a little nervous but you'll be fine, they'll love you."

"But-" He bent down a little so that she could
hear him better, a loud family had just come in.

"They already love you." She turned, he could almost see the desperation in her eyes, they were so close. And he smiled at her, trying so hard to be comforting - it wasn't exactly something he was trained to do.

"None of them know me, Jasper."

"They know of you, and what you've done. They know how much you've done for the world." He took her shoulders lightly and turned her body so that she was facing him completely, aware of the picking at her nails. "They know you from the stories of your travels, of the good you have done. They know you as Penelope Adaams, protector of the universe and its people."

"How much are they expecting from me? I'm not who I was, I can't be."

"All they want from you - from us - is help. And I know you haven't changed enough to refuse to help when called." She looked at him once, frowning before looking down. Her expression changed and she looked up at him playfully and pushed him away by his upper arms.

"You know me too well, going to have to off you one of these days."

They laughed together and for a moment they were able to breathe, and be people.

Not alone.

And not a soldier.

For a brief moment in their hectic world, they paused and allowed themselves to be normal.

"Penelope Adaams?"

And then it started calling again, something neither of them can avoid. No matter how much they wished they could just stay standing in each other's shadows, the demands of life pulled them away.

Penelope turned and grinned widely at the girl that called out to her, and the group following, choosing to believe in Jasper.

"That's me! Hi! It's so great to finally meet you."