XXVIII

"This information comes from Harold Saxon himself. You're not safe!"
- Francine, The Lazarus Project

After waiting for a while, she walked back down with Martha and Tish, making sure both of them are okay and getting both of their numbers for future reference, especially if they're involved with the Doctor. Martha's mum storms up to her, confused, asking who she was angrily. Of course Penelope doesn't mind because mothers are always wary when it comes to her children.

"Hello again, we met earlier. I was just ensuring that both your girls got back to you. Unfortunately I have to be somewhere else now, but this is my card, please call if you have any problems or questions. Thank you, I'll see you around Jones, Tish."

She smiled politely and walked past the woman towards the car park, followed closely by Jasper, who still had the car keys. He put a comforting arm around her waist, and that was the first kind of warmth she's felt since the Doctor called her a murderer.

As she leant into Jasper, she couldn't feel the painful stare from the Doctor. At least this time he's a little more aware that he fucked up. The pain in her voice and the tears in her eyes when he said that to her will probably stick with him for a long time. There was another familiar look in her eyes, one he had seen in the mirror for hundreds of years. The darkness of someone who did what they had to.

And there was now nothing he could do as she got into a car, closing a door between them.

Penelope didn't look over at him at all as they left, in fact she didn't even open her eyes until she was sure they were on a straight stretch of road away from the event.

It was quiet on the way back, a low hum from the radio and Jasper's worried glances were all that filled the air. He wasn't sure what the Doctor had said to her, having only heard her side, but from this reaction it couldn't have been good.

His knuckles were turning white under the pressure he was holding the steering wheel with.

But they were quiet until they pulled into the apartment block's car park. When he turned off the engine, they both just sat there for a moment. Jasper then got out of the car, walking round and opening her door, offering her a hand out. A sad smile settled on her face as she took it.

He led her out of the carpark and into the lift, neither of them could be bothered with the stairs today. And the grip on Jasper's hand only tightened as they got closer to his apartment.

He opened the door - struggling a little with one hand - and bought her inside. Finally they had to let go to close and lock the door behind them. In this time she took off her heels and pulled on the slippers that she had left over last time. It made her smile quietly, she was honestly moving into his apartment more and more by the day.

She latched onto his arm as he went past into the front room and together they fell onto the sofa, a little achy and very tired. Penelope groans loudly, rubbing her eyes with the palms of her hands probably a tad more aggressive than she should. She didn't want to cry over him again.

"How the hell did he turn up again? The one person I'm trying to avoid. It's such a big universe and he's right there every time." Jasper turned to look at her, head laying on the back of the sofa.

"The doctor can't be everywhere in space and time, can he?"

"You'd fucking think so wouldn't you Jasp, but no, his alien ass is getting into all of my business and still acting like a bitch." Her voice hitched and she stopped talking, hands falling by her side.

In the dark of the room, Jasper took her hand again, offering the comfort he could. They sat like that for hours, until the sun started to bathe the room and birds gave them a rough sense of the time.

Neither of them slept that night.