XXXV

"Make your decision, Mister Smith."
- Jenny, The Family of Blood

There had been a little commotion, with one of the boys opening a watch behind them and the family becoming distracted. Martha had managed to wrangle away the ray gun, pointing it at the other maid. Whilst Penelope elbowed Clark in the face and threw his gun across the room, getting her own from her bag.

With it trained level with Clark's eyeline, she didn't even falter as Martha started to talk.

"All right! One more move and I shoot."

"Oh, the maid is full of fire." Penelope groaned, shooting near his foot, a warning glare thrown his way.

"You, shut up!" Clark seemed to blanch, if he was even able to with whatever had taken over him.

"Careful, Son of Mine. This is all for you so that you can live forever." Baines was staring hard at Penelope, almost transfixed.

"Shoot you down." Martha laughed, it was a little shaky and that made Penelope nervous.

"Try it. We'll die together."

"Would you really pull the trigger? Looks too scared."

"Scared and holding a gun's a good combination. Do you want to risk it?" They seemed to understand and the 'family' lowered their weapons. Daring to glance over at the Doctor, she was surprised to see him already watching her. It was a mix of confusion and worry. Penelope turns and keeps her eye on Baines and Clark as she shouts over the crowd behind her.

"Doctor, get everyone out. There's a door at the side. It's over there. Go on. John, I mean you." The man wasn't able to shake out of it, the pure confusion and panic. And perhaps the slight attraction to Penelope with a gun. "Alright, Joan, give the man a hand would you. Get everyone out now!"

"Do what she said. Everybody out, now. Don't argue, Mister Jackson. They're mad. That's all we need to know. Susan, Miss Cooper, outside, all of you." There was a knowing look between the two, this was bigger than some man, a truce could be allowed for now. The Doctor ushers on the boys from before, getting them out of the hall.

"Move yourself, boy. Back to the school, quickly." Martha looked over at him, the man not making a move to leave.

"And you. Go on. Just shift."

"I'm not going without Penelope." God he's thick, if a little sweet, as a human. Penelope smiled over at him, trying to reassure him.

"I'll be alright John, go make sure Joan and the children are okay for me, please."

As they leave, the maid is able to get away from Martha, which leaves them one hostage down. But at least they both still have their guns. They shared a look and Penelope nodded, leaving this up to Martha, who knows far more about what's happening than her.

"Don't try anything. I'm warning you, or Sonny boy gets it."

"She's almost brave, this one." Baines was still very much focused on Penelope, and it made her a little nervous, but she blocked it out. For the sake of the children she had to.

"I should have taken her form. Much more fun. So much spirit." The two back away as the family advanced, it would be so much easier if Penelope had her team with her.

"What happened to Jenny? Is she gone?"

"She is consumed. Her body's mine."

"You mean she's dead."

"Yes. And she went with precious little dignity. All that screaming." A scarecrow grabs hold of Martha only moments before one reached for Penelope, who was thankfully able to back away, kicking the straw man back. The other one got Martha's gun and Penelope leapt forward, dragged the girl out of line of fire and out the building.

Penelope nearly runs into the Doctor, reminiscent of how she first met John. He even stopped her from stumbling back. Martha has a go at him as she stands next to Joan.

"Don't just stand there, move! God, you're rubbish as a human. Come on!" The four of them ran from the building, only two of them aware of the actual danger they were in.

Somewhere along the running the Doctor had grabbed Penelope's hand and she couldn't bring herself to let go, not quite yet.