Chapter 9-Holding On and Letting Go

Niall's breath came out in a woosh as he saw Liam disappear over the side of the bridge. He screamed bloody murder and ran to the side and peered down. Nothing was there. "NO! Liam! " Niall clutched at his chest as he continued to scream.

No matter what Niall had done wrong, it was obvious the love he had for the hybrid. So when he sees his friend having a panic attack Zayn steps forward. He latches his arms around Niall's waist and pulls him away from the edge. "Ssh, love, it's too late, there's nothing we can do." Niall is relentless in his struggling and Zayn is finding it hard to maintain his grip. "C'mon Niall, we need to go." 

Zayn is becoming frustrated with Niall, for he wished he could cry to, but like always, he would retreat to his bedroom and cry alone. "Niall, shut up! You're making a scene! It's too late," He starts to drag Niall and Niall goes slack in his grip, and the only way he knows that Niall is alive is by the quiet sobbing he hears.

By the time Zayn has made it to Nando's, he decides to carry Niall bridal style since there is obviously no way that Niall is going to walk. And by the time he makes it back to his flat, still carrying Niall, Niall is asleep and Zayn locks him in his bedroom.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

After a painfully hot cup of tea and a half hour of sniffling and lip biting, Zayn retreats to his room. His bed looks warm and inviting and his pillow looks like a wonderful thing to sob into. He turns around and locks the door and slowly makes his way to the bed.

Instinctively, he grabs a pillow and spoons it, but then just lets go and he cries. He cries for Liam, he cries for Harry, he cries for Niall, but he mostly cries for himself, because who cries for Zayn?

Nobody ever cries for him because he is Zayn Malik. He's that asshole who sleeps around with girls and guys and always leaves in the morning without a second glance. He's the guy who gets drunk and party's every night. He's the guy who never falls in love and always toys with people's emotions.

But every single morning he does look back at whoever he just slept with, because he does want to remember them. He doesn't party every night, he just says those things so people will think he is more interesting than he actually is. Zayn falls in love with almost everyone, he's afraid of his heart being broken. Which has been unsuccessful. Liam had been so cute, and Zayn doesn't think of him as anything more than a brother, but he is still in love with him.

Zayn sucks in a much needed breath and screams softly into his pillow. The muffled sound is pitiful and Zayn allows himself to wonder how he's even gotten to this point.

He has no idea.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

It's about 5 in the morning when Harry allows himself to retreat back to his flat after hours of searching for Louis. With his hope almost gone and the last of it rapidly diminishing, he gave up. Maybe he truly did lose Louis this time, and for good.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

It was cold and dark, and being wet didn't help. 

Louis knew what Niall was going to do, but he couldn't put it into words. He wished he could, honestly. Or else his best friend might have not been shoved off a bridge.

Louis was clever enough to know not to follow them and jump out, for he'd be shoved too. He went to the underside of the bridge, where all the ratty hybrids and normal people hang out. What he didn't expect was for it to be so cold and have Liam shoved out so far and have such a strong current.

But when he saw Liam go tumbling over the edge he dove into the water and went straight for him. The fast moving current was able to keep up with Liam, but Liam was sinking and Louis had been afraid to go into deep water since his near drowning 'accident'. But Louis would do anything for a friend.

Louis pushed himself harder and cut straight through the cold water right to the bottom. Pressure was building up in his ears, he was losing oxygen quickly, and he couldn't open his eyes since he was in salt water. Fear had quickly crept it's way up his throat as he had flashbacks of that night, but they only made his hands search the sand more frantically for Liam.

His hands latched on to what felt like hair and he yanked it up, not caring about being gentle. His hands grasped around the midsection and suddenly Louis didn't know which way was up and which way was down. He clutched harder at the body and fervently kicked his legs. He was becoming dizzy and awfully hard to maintain a good grip on the body. Then he breached the water.

Louis' sputtered gasps were not helping the horrible headache pounding at Louis' skull.  Louis' limbs began to feel like jelly and he got that familiar knot in his stomach and began to feel like he was going to be sick. He knew he was having a panic attack, and he had to get himself to shore.

It became painful and hard to make the trip to shore, and Louis wasn't breathing by that time. He brought the body up first, and rolled him up onto the dirty shore. Louis followed suite, and flopped down and started to convulse. In a time like this Harry would usually come and hold his hand and whisper sweet nothings to him. But Harry wasn't here. And it felt like Louis was dying.

His hand flexed and unflexed, wishing that by some miracle Harry would magically appear and his panic attack would stop. Instead, he slowly and painfully brought his hands up to his chest and clutched weakly at his sweatshirt, hoping it would somewhat soothe him.

The attack had lasted for about 15 minutes-longer than usual-but once it was over and he regained his surroundings, he forced himself up and took Liam's face in his hands. His fingers ghosted over Liam's shut eyes and cold lips. Louis couldn't decide if Liam was breathing or not.

Louis decided that the best thing to do was sit there and warm each other up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

It was seven in the morning and someone was obnoxiously yet weakly knocking on Harry's door. He groaned and made his way out of bed, his bare feet padding against the kitchen tile. He pulled the door back and squeaked with muffled surprise at who he saw there.

"Hawy?"

Louis was shivering and he was soaked and he had his arms around a dead looking Liam and what the hell has been going on that Harry didn't know about?! Louis was on the ground cradling Liam, so Harry Picked Louis up beneath his armpits and dragged them both inside. He quickly shut the door and locked it then charged over to the thermostat  and blasted it. Then, Harry ran down to the closet and picked up about 50 blankets and gave them to Liam and Louis. 

Since Liam looked the worst out of the two of them,  Harry had dealt with him first. He was breathing, so Harry guessed that was a good sign. what is your mutt doing at my flat soaked with lou??? Harry quickly texted Niall.

Harry sighed and continued to work on the hybrids. He would figure this all out.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

GAH!!!!! THIS IS A HORRIBLE AND A SHORT CHAPTER, I'M SO SORRY!!!!!!!!! BUT I HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!! COMMENT PLEASE, AND AGAIN I AM SO SORRY!!!  

On a less...capitalized note, I'd love to hear what you guys would like to have happen in this story since you all inspire me to write!!!!! I've got a idea for the next chapter or two.... but I'd still be uber happy to hear what you want in this story!!!!