eight..

"no chance, princess."

I wake up to an empty bed

"Where has my child gone?" I ask myself, laughing at my own joke. What can I say? I'm hilarious.

I look out my broken window to see Sarah standing by her bike.

"Look who it is," I say walking through the window. "Are you okay. You know after last night?"

"I'm fine," she says, clearly lying. I know how it feels to not want to talk about something, so I don't push it.

"Well, brief warning. I'm guessing John B isn't going to be the happiest man in the neighborhood. Might wanna watch your back," I tell her as we begin walking up to the porch.

"Well, hello, princess," JJ says, announcing Sarah.

"What's up?" Kie asks.

"Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" John B asks. That poor boy loves to test the waters. "Or did you break up with Topper?"

"We're just friends," Sarah tells him. I believe her, but I also believe that if she wants John B's trust she should stay away from him.

"He's just a friend. You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron," John B states. Gosh he is not making this any easier.

"Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too," Sarah says. At least she's standing up for herself.

I walk over to JJ, standing in between his legs. He's sitting on the porch railing, leaning against the screen.

"All right, what are you doing here?" John B asks, her clearly getting to him.

"I'm here for Pope," she tells him. "I think I found the island room."

This makes everyone sit up.

-

"Guys listen to this," Pope says from beside me.

John B and Sarah are sitting at in the front of the van, Kie sitting on the side bench. I sit in between Pope and JJ, JJ's arm around me.

"The diary says the cross holds the most holy relic in all of Christendom, the Garment of the Savior."

"So wait, he's saying there's a holy garment inside the cross?" Kie asks.