Chapter 5

'Watch and wait,' is what he thought. Mondo scratched his head his nails picking up dandruff. Mondo took the best care of his hair possible, but sometimes he just couldn't, he lost all motivation I suppose.

Everyone had those days though, right? Kiyo just kinda looked at the body...jeez, that wording was grim; allow me to rephrase the passed-out king. She didn't seem to be all that bothered. Mondo wondered just how many times she'd seen this if behind the face showing almost no thoughts she felt anything looking at it.

He took a sip of a tea, it was fucking scorching. 'How did Kiyo drink this without burning her tongue?' he thought watching her just drink the tea seemingly unaffected. She gently rubbed through her hair removing the tangles. The silence was awkward, at least for him. Sometimes he wished he was a mind reader, life just seemed...easier that way. Being able to tell what someone was thinking, no matter. He couldn't use magic so it would never be possible unless he somehow became a royal. (not so impossible, but he doesn't know that.) He looked at Kiyo hoping she'd know how to start a conversation.

She did kind of start a conversation with, "I get that I'm insanely hot, but you don't have to stare"

"Oh—" Mondo said, unsure if she took offence.

Kiyo giggled, "Just kidding, I don't really mind."

"Oh alright." he kinda laughed at his stupidity and was not sure if it'd be a good time for him to mention he's not into women. "Sorry, I just ain't really tha' good with talkin' to royalty n' shit, 'ya know?"

"Yeah, I understand that we seem all 'classy' and stuff. It's mostly an act, also about the you finding me attractive joke. Don't worry, I know you like my brother more."

Mondo if he was drinking the tea would've spit it out, like a movie. "No, I do not."

"Yeah, I don't believe you."

"Why do you think this?"

"Tension, easy," she replied.

"What tension, and why would you be OK with your brother dating someone who tried to murder him."

Then it (somewhat) said the smartest thing he say all day. Actually, not smart, well-read. "You didn't wish harm on my brother, I can tell. If you did, you wouldn't have stopped when I entered the room. If you truly want someone dead, you'll keep going no matter who sees. Plus as much as you knew you were fucked the minute I walked in. I can tell you're not exactly popular so you'd pretty much die anyway, why not make it worth it." she said, staring him down. "If it makes you feel better? I doubt my brother is going to execute you, though. I know him well enough, he's let assassins go before. He sees people trying to kill him as a game. As long as he's alive he's winning. I think he's been raised with me enough to know what I do." she smiled.

Mondo didn't even reply. She realized that xe probably freaked him out, attempting to change the conversation she asked, "So what did you and Taka talk about while I was making the tea"

"Why do you want to know?" he asked, still a little wary from the sudden change in tone and pace of conversation.

Kiyo looked around. "To tease you with, duh."