9

It's been almost a year since Will went missing and since we found him. A year since the Demogorgon almost killed us. Everything has gone back to normal for the most part. Junior year is kicking my butt, but that's no surprise.

I sit at my desk as Steve sits on my bed. He's writing an essay for his college application while I do my math homework. I look up from my book and at Steve.

"I'm surprised you can make time for me," I confess.

"What?" Steve asks.

"You're all over Nancy all the time," I tell him.

Steve smiles widely. "Yeah."

I shake my head. "Are you anywhere close to finishing your college essay?"

Steve groans as he falls back onto my bed. "No."

"When's the deadline?" I ask.

"It's tomorrow for early application," Steve informs me. I try to hold back a laugh. "It's not funny, Sugar."

"I know, Steve," I assure. "You just have to hunker down and finish it."

Steve finally sits back up. "What's the point?"

"To go to college," I offer.

"I'll end up working for my dad anyway," Steve says.

"You've never wanted that," I remind him.

"I don't know, Sugar. Is that such a bad thing?" Steve asks. "There's insurance and benefits and all that adult stuff. And if I took it, you know, I could be around for your senior year. And Nancy's."

"Would you really miss me that much?" I tease.

"I think you would be the one missing me," Steve argues.

I shake my head. "Nope. You're gonna be the one thinking about me."

Jonathan, Nancy, and I walk out of history together. Since we faced the Demogorgon and lived to tell Nancy has been hanging around Jonathan and I more. I like having a friend that's a girl.

Tina hands Nancy and I flyers as we pass her. "Hey. Be there. Hey, Candy.

"Thanks," I tell her.

Nancy turns around. "Oh, could I get one more?"

"Yeah, sure," Tina tells her.

Nancy shoves the flyer into Jonathan's chest. "You're coming to this."

"Come and get sheet faced." Jonathan shakes his head. "No, I'm not."

"I can't let you sit all alone on Halloween. That's just not acceptable," Nancy argues.

"Well, you can relax. I'm not gonna be alone," Jonathan tells her.

"Candy doesn't count," Nancy tells him.

I laugh. "I'm going to the party, Nancy. I love Halloween," I tell her.

"I'm going trick-or-treating with Will," Jonathan explains.

"All night?" Nancy asks.

"Yeah," Jonathan tells her.

I shake my head. "No, you're not. It's the same thing every year. You're gonna be home by 8:00, listening to the Talking Heads and reading Vonnegut.

Jonathan shrugs. "Sounds like a nice night."

"Jonathan, just come. I mean, who knows, you might even, like, meet someone," Nancy offers.

As we pass by Steve grabs Nancy and pulls her in for a kiss. Jonathan and I keep walking.