34

We run through the woods making it to skull rock. We hide underneath it away from the bats.

"Oh... okay. That was close," Robin says.

"Yeah. Too close," Eddie says.

"Oh, sh... shit," Steve says as he falls over leaning on the rock.

"Steve?" I rush towards him. "Jesus."

"I'm fine. I'm fine," Steve insists.

"No, no, no. You're not," I tell him. "You're losing blood. Come on, sit. All right?"

Steve grunts as he falls on his knees. I can see blood coming out of the bites.

"Oh... Okay." Robin kneels down next to Steve. "So, the good news is I'm pretty sure wooziness is not a common symptom of rabies. But if you start having hallucinations or muscle spasms or you start feeling aggressive, like you wanna punch me, let me know."

"Robin," Steve says.

"Yeah?" Robin asks.

"I kinda wanna punch you," Steve tells her.

Robin laughs. "Sense of humor's still intact. That's a good sign."

I rip off the bottom part of my shirt. "You ready?"

"Just do it," Steve tells me.

Steve kneels up straighter as I wrap the fabric around his stomach. He groans as I tighten it.

"Sorry," I tell him.

"It's okay," Steve says.

"Too tight?" I ask.

"No, that's good," Steve tells me.

"Okay." I tie the fabric in a knot to keep it from falling off.

"Thanks," Steve says before kissing the top of my head.

I nod my head as I help Steve stand up. "Lean on me."

Eddie climbs up on top of a rock to get a better view. "So, uh, this place is like Hawkins, but with monsters and nasty shit?"

"Pretty much," I tell him.

"Wait, watch out for the vines," Nancy states. "It's all a hive mind."

"It's all a what?" Eddie asks.

"All the creepy crawlies around here, dude. They're, like, one or something," Steve explains. "You step on a vine, you're stepping on a bat, you're stepping on Vecna."

"Shit," Eddie says. He slowly starts to climb down from the rock avoiding the vines.

"But everything from our world is still here, right? Except people obviously?" Robin asks.

"As far as I understand it, yeah," Nancy tells her.

"So, theoretically, we could go to the police station and steal guns and grenades and whatever we need to blow up those bat things that are guarding the gate," Robin offers.

"I highly doubt the Hawkins PD has grenades, Robin," Steve says. "But guns, yeah, sure."

"Well, we don't have to go all the way downtown for guns," Nancy states. "I have guns in my bedroom."

"You, Nancy Wheeler, have guns, plural, in your bedroom?" Eddie asks.

"Full of surprises, isn't she?" Robin says.

"A Russian Makarov and a revolver," Nancy tells Eddie.

"Yeah, you almost shot me with that one," Steve reminds her.