31

We make it to the school as fast as we can. Max is telling us about a grandfather clock she insists she saw in the hallway.

"It was here. Right here," Max tells us.

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asks.

Max nods. "It was so real. And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just... I woke up."

"It was like she was in a trance or something," Dustin explains. "Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy."

"That's not even the bad part," Max tells us. "Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Miss Kelley for help. Uh, they both were having headaches, bad headaches that wouldn't go away. And then... then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions, they just... they kept on getting worse and worse, until eventually... everything ended."

"Vecna's curse," Robin states.

"Chrissy's headache started a week ago," Max tells us. "Fred's, six days ago. I've been having them for five days. I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock, so..." Max takes a shaky breath. "Looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow."

It sounds like a door opens somewhere in the school.

"Stay here," Steve tells us.

He grabs a lamp before beheading out the door. We slowly make our way down the hallway. I hear someone running. I yell as someone comes around the corner.

"It's me!" Lucas shouts.

"Lucas?" Nancy asks.

"It's me," Lucas repeats.

"Jesus, what's wrong with you, Sinclair?" Steve asks. "

"I'm sorry," Lucas says.

"I could've taken you out with this lamp!" Steve shouts.

"Sorry, guys. Sorry. I was... I was biking for eight miles," Lucas tells us. "Give me a second. Shit. We've got a code red."

"What?" Steve asks.

Lucas walks right past him. "Dustin. I've been with Jason, Patrick, and Andy, and they've gone totally off the rails. They're trying to capture Eddie, and they think you know where he is. You're in terrible danger."

"All right. Yeah, that definitely sucks, but we've got bigger problems than Jason now," Dustin tells him.

We head to the Wheeler house. I try to call Jonathan. He's gotta know what's going on. El, Mike, and Will need to know.

I slam the phone down on the receiver as I get a busy signal again.

"I still can't get them," I tell Steve.

"I'm sure Mrs Byers is just on the phone for work," Steve reasons.

"This late?" I ask.

"I don't..." Steve starts. He puts his hands on my upper arms. "I'm sure everything is fine. You're just... freaking out right now about everything."

I nod my head. "Yeah. Yeah. I should probably just try to sleep."

I show everyone the newspaper article we found about Victor Creel.

"Okay, be honest. Uh... You guys understand any of this?" Steve asks.

"No," Lucas says.

"Pretty straightforward," Dustin states.

"Oh, straightforward, really?" Steve asks.

"What's confusing to you?" Dustin asks. "So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died, except for this old Victor Creel dude Nancy found. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him."