Chapter 25 - The present

Tokyo, December 13

"We have to do something, Ieri-san!" Nanamin protested. "She can't just die like that! She is our friend, our collegue! Can't you bring her back somehow?" 

"Nanamin, I've already told you many times this day, that I'm not a magician, I can not just magically make dead people come back to life! I am in pain too, I grieve too, but I can't do anything! Even if something of this sort ever existed, is deeply hidden away." she sighed.

"Wasn't her mother the key keeper? Maybe she has something that could bring her back! A spell, a technique we could use!" Nanami got up from the chair, almost yelling in the empty classroom. "She has been dead for almost two days now, if we don't act quick, we won't be even able to try! Ieri, please, we have to do this! We have to try! She would try too if it was one of us!" he looked at the girl, who wasn't looking at her.

Ieri was facing the floor. She had to really calm her senses not to cry in front of Nanami. She was devastated. Gojo hasn't replied to any of her messages, nor returned her calls, which meant he didn't want to be found. She understood that, because she watched Gojo sink lower and lower into a dark dark pit, but every time she wanted to help, she couldn't do anything! It was devastating for her, she was loosing everyone around her, but she was helpless. She saved people daily, but she couldn't save her friends. It was her biggest fear: loosing the very people she swore to protect, even if it meant she would exhaust herself to the brink of death. But now she couldn't even do that. She started drinking a little bit more, but no one knew, because she was always hiding. She didn't want people to worry about her as well, everything was happening way too quickly in the sorcerer community. 

But again, no one really cared about her from the beginning. Only her powers were important and valuable, people always seemed to point out the importance of her ability. She was sick of it, but people never knew! Even if they did, what is a little pain compared to saving tens if not hundreds of people? She was a product. A product of the system she was living in, and she couldn't escape it. Some people were lucky enough, to die. Death must be peaceful, she always thought and it brought her peace at night when she fell asleep to the thought that she'll die someday and won't be in pain from all the things they make her do.

"Nanami, we have to accept losses. Maybe she's at peace now. All the things she always went trough, were terrifying. She was always broken it two pieces, if not more. I think she'll be alright like this." she sighed. "Don't you think so?" 

"No. No, Ieri! If someone can be saved we need to save them, the other things are trivial!" he was getting worked up.

"I'm going Nanami, take care. I've got work to do, find something to do as well, it'll be easier to accept that way." she forced a smile on her face, but it was the hardest thing she ever had to do. "See you later." she stood up and walked out of the classroom, leaving Nanami alone. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanami was experiencing feelings he never felt in his life: in a small time of a few months, he lost two of his collegues: Haibara and you. Truth be told, he did like you a lot, starting from the very beginning. He wanted to talk to you, spend time with you, but you were always with Geto and Gojo. He saw that you liked them, and he knew, how little his chance was in ever getting to you. The star of opportunity shone on him, when Geto left and only Gojo remained: he knew, you wouldn't stay with someone so childish, like him. He tried so hard, to get to you, but he didn't realize that it wasn't so easy, the situation that you were in.

Now, in retrospect, Nanami knew, or he wanted to think he knew what you were going trough, but in reality, he didn't, no matter how attentive he was. Even as a first year, he was really good at his tasks, and he had a strong sense of morals.

He had to do something. He had to get you back from the dead. He was sure there was some material in your mother's house about this type of jujutsu. The only thing he needed to do, was break in. Which might be even more complicated with how the events turned out, but he had to do it.