Chapter 26- New mission

He was frightened to the core. Gojo, for the first time in his life didn't know what to do. If he ran away, he would have immense guilt for the rest of his life, which he would spend somewhere hidden, so the other sorcerers wouldn't find him. He knew, if he didn't get his shit together, he would get lost. Lost forever. 

As the new year got closer and only a few days remained from the old year, everyone was cold. Cold in the heart. A year of so many traumas and pain, the cold remained all year long. A freezing feeling hung close to all of them. Mostly to you. You were the coldest of them all. You couldn't decide who to love, so how could you decide if you really want to live? Did you really deserve the life that you got? Maybe yes, maybe no. But the answer isn't yours to decide. It was never clear to you if there was a higher being that controlled everything or just the metaphysical world manifested itself in the form of curses. Then, who would decide that your life was worth or not? Your mother? Your friends? Gojo? 

You couldn't change. Couldn't change the past, how you made so many mistakes. Maybe it's the way to grow? Maybe it wasn't all a mistake, to make mistakes? How was it always possible, that luck, followed you so close, that it wouldn't leave your side, yet, you've felt unlucky your whole life? What can we ever decide in our life?

But maybe you wanted to try. If you had to really die, then let it be, but first, you had to try to live, right? You had to fight, for the first time in your small life, for yourself. Not for two people, who kept you at their close grasp. You had to do it for you. If you fail, luck has really left your side. But dying, without trying, would mean, you were a coward your whole life. You couldn't do that. You had to break it. Break the curse of death. Death couldn't contain you, right? Fuck it, if death wanted you by his side, you would've been dead for a long time now. But this wasn't meant to be. You had to live, to get to the truth. To stop a war. You had to do this for your own peace.

"Thank you father. I'll always thank you, for this. Rest in peace, but my rest has to wait. I choose life. I love you."

You woke up. Again, yet not in the darkness, in the cold. It was a room, but it was full of lights, very bright ones, all directed towards you. You couldn't move, your body was frozen. As your senses recovered a little, a strong smell hit you. Was this coming from you? The smell resembled death. As you moved your neck, a loud crack echoed trough the room. You tried to gasp but only low rumble came out. 

How long were you gone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naobito was so stressed these past two weeks, he forgot that the new year is almost there. Kana was found guilty of the murder of her daughter and sentenced to execution. He couldn't do anything, even with his money, fame and power, the council decided that a crime like this shouldn't go unpunished. In the trials, evidence resurfaced that Kana was smuggling curses to Geto Suguru, so the decision was even more precise than before. Before maybe he could've had some  influence on how this would be carried out. But now, his hands were tied, just like the woman's he loved.

Was it love he felt this past years? Or was that he grew close to her because of the power she held? At first, he couldn't imagine her as his equal, but as the trials went on, and more information got out about her dirty work, Naobito realized, Kana outmatched his game by lightyears. He held the status, the big name, and Kana, she held the real power: the connections in the underworld. Ah, the pair that they could've made, if this stupid bitch didn't have the histeria in that moment. If she only could've contained her anger towards her daughter. Then everything would've been fine. 

But now it was whatever. He couldn't change the past. The present was ever so torn. After the murder a few days later, a jujutsu student was found, breaking into her mansion. It was someone named Nanami Kento? Naobito wasn't sure about him. He never heard from his family or anything. He was suspended and kept at jujutsu high, but this couldn't bother Naobito. He was much more torn on the final decision of the elderly council. Death by execution, the cruelest form he knew: death by the cursed tool which held the power of a thousand katanas in itself. This was only used in executions for criminals that hurt the human and the sorcerer community.

The sentence would be carried out just before the new year, somehow really ending the cycle of unluck. Or that's just what the elderly council thought. Everyone knew, misfortune followed the jujutsu sorcerers everywhere. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It took you a few minutes to actually start to feel your arms and legs. Everything was numb and stiff, your mouth was dried out, even the feeling in your eyes was like too much sand got in it. After these feelings started to fade, you actually tried to leave the table that you were on, but with little luck. As you tried to get on your feet, you fell on the ground with a loud thump, and some cracking noise as well. It was frightening to you, all of this. How could you be esentially, a dead person? Your body feels like one, acts like one, how are you really coming back to life like this? 

At this moment, it didn't matter, the only thing you knew you had to do, was to find someone. Someone you could trust, you could rely on. A weird thought hit your counsciousness at the moment: why weren't you buried, or cremated? Were they planning doing something with your body? Experiment on it? Only after this you saw the big stich on your abdomen that stretched up until almost your collarbone. A small gasp left your lips, as  you traced it with your hands, delicately, the fear ever growing in you.

Is this what they did to Haibara? Made him a collection of stiches and cuts? Is this what they do to every dead sorcerer that died fighting? Gave their life to protecting something precious to them? You were terrified at the realization that just hit you at this moment. 

But you had to fight the fear. You couldn't stay alone for much longer before someone realizes that you were gone. You had to force yourself to get up. It was a painful process, but it had to be done, if you wanted to live, and oh how much you did. 

You put both of your hands on the floor and tried to push yourself up with all the power that was left in a failing body. Some minor cracks could be heard echoing in the empty room, the pain was starting to build up in your hand and you let out a loud sigh, tinted with pain. But you had to do it. So giving your all you pushed yourself up, while screaming.

But it was done. Now all you had to do was to figure out where you were, and well, get some clothes. Your new mission was to live.