Chapter Six; Becoming a geisha

The ice water had numbed Katana's fingers. She knew the feeling wouldn't last once she played the koto. It was a necessary evil to further advance her skill on the musical instrument and show Mameha she could withstand the pain. 

"One more minute," said Mameha. 

"Yes, Ma—I mean, Oneesan."

The dark-eyed leader of the okiya nodded approvingly as Katana addressed her with the proper term for their newfound relation. Since she was now a maiko, Mameha had officially adopted Katana. However, as geisha were not allowed to have children, they were not mother and daughter but sisters. Katana'd been dismayed when she heard the news, but she still preferred Mameha to Kitiara. She pitied any girl who would get stuck with her. 

"All right, go ahead."

Katana removed her hands from the ice water bucket and pulled the instrument close. Pain shot through her fingers as she plucked at the strings, but she kept her composure. Under no circumstance could she show Mameha she was hurting. Geisha must always keep their grace. Geisha must show no weakness and appear as if they cannot be hurt. Above all, geisha must appear immortal. 

"Lift your elbow a little more," instructed Mameha.

Katana closed her eyes as she focused on the melody. She thought of the training ground near the lake. The high grass danced with the wind in perfect harmony with the music. A boy laughed. His voice called out. Oh, how she longed to run and join him for a swim in the refreshing water.
Then she felt another presence near. Distant, yet warm and comforting. His dark, beguiling eyes rested on her. How long had it been since they had last hugged or even seen each other? Too damn long... 

"That's enough." Mameha's sharp voice pulled Katana away from her vision. "Who were you thinking of?"

"What? N-Nobody."

Mameha's dark eyes narrowed. Katana froze as a dainty hand brushed a tear away from the corner of her eye.

"This is not a tear from pain. You are too strong to cry when you are hurt physically; I know this well. This is an emotional tear. So, I ask again; who were you thinking of?"

"Nobody, Oneesan." Katana lowered her head. "I just forgot it was a sad song. I was swept away by it. Forgive me. It won't happen again."

"Then may I ask how you know this song? I've never heard it outside of the okiya. You appear to be the only one who knows it."

"I'm not sure, Oneesan. I just know the music. And I think there are words too, but I can never understand the singer when I hear her in the back of my mind."

"Her?"

A chill ran up Katana's spine when she caught Mameha's intense gaze again. She reminded Katana so much of Itachi Uchiha. He, too, had a fierce intensity about him. Once, she'd asked Sasuke once if Mameha had been part of the Uchiha-clan in her previous life, but he didn't know. Katana was certain of it, though. Only an Uchiha had such alluring eyes. But if she was related to Sasuke, why hadn't she taken him in after the massacre? And why hadn't she gone in pursuit of Itachi herself?

Because geisha had no family.

Katana was reminded of that far too much lately. A geisha's only duty was to the okiya and the Land of Fire. Nothing or no one else mattered. And Mameha made sure Katana understood this. 

"Perhaps a different song next time, yes?" she said.

"Yes, Oneesan."

"Come along now." Mameha rose to her feet with the natural grace of an empress. "We mustn't be late for your tailor appointment."