Chapter Sixteen; Sand, leaves, and water

"Take care of the sister. Leave Gaara to me."

Katana huffed at Sasuke's unyielding command. When he glanced back at her, never once losing his speed in their chase, she nodded. What else could she do? Considering who their opponents were, they had no choice but to divide and conquer. However...

"Just promise me one thing," she said. 

"What's that?"

"Don't overdo the Chidori."

The sharp glare of Sasuke's Sharingan met her own ocean-blue eyes. Separating was one thing, but Katana wouldn't let her best friend risk his life to get that red-haired freak. Kakashi had been very clear — twice was his limit. In combination with the Sharingan, Sasuke would burn through his chakra. Any more meant certain death.

"Sasuke, promise," insisted Katana. 

But all he said was, "Be careful."

"No, Sasuke!"

The raven-haired teen leaped into the air, disappearing into the foliage above before Katana had the chance to physically stop him. She cursed underneath her breath and pushed herself to run faster, carefully watching between the branches.
Gaara's sister, Temari, was a Wind-style user. Her attacks were made for long-distance attacks, not hand-to-hand combat. Katana had to catch the Sand-kunoichi by surprise and disarm her before she knew what hit her. But when she caught one hunched figure brutally throw away another, she stopped dead in her tracks.

Gaara had rammed his sister against an opposing tree, leaving her groaning on the thick branch. Katana's gaze shifted, searching for Sasuke. She found him higher up, looking down at his opponent. His expression stood serious, yet his eyes — reverted to their usual onyx — showed apprehension. Good. At least he wouldn't rush in. 
With Gaara distracted by Sasuke, and Temari dazed from the impact, Katana took her chance. She pushed herself off, jumping and climbing between two trees until she reached the kunoichi. One kick, and the great yellow fan with purple dots tumbled to the ground, an ominous echo reverberating as it hit several branches on the way down. The katana's tip was but an inch away from Temari's face. 

"Please," uttered the blonde with a strained grunt. "Don't."

"I won't kill you if you surrender now," spoke Katana firmly.

"No, you don't understand. You and your friend have to get away from here. Right now."

She looked up. If her fear-laced voice hadn't been enough, the absolutely frightened look in her dark-green eyes definitely was. Katana lowered her sword an inch and asked, "What are you talking about?"

A terrifying roar tore through the forest. Katana whipped her head towards the sound, gasping at the sight before her. Gaara, still on a branch at equal distance from her and Sasuke, was writhing on his knees and howling in pain. His face became distorted, chipping like a vase would when struck. 

"You are my prey!" yelled the unhinged Genin. "My prey! MY PREY!"

Temari whimpered behind Katana, shielding herself from the horrid creature her brother was turning into. Sand spilled from the gourd on his back, wrapping around his right arm as it morphed into a big, twisted claw. White skin turned into amber-toned... whatever it was, and his deformed mouth now bore fangs on the right. Saliva dripped from his lips and chin as Gaara raised himself up, mismatched eyes landing on...

"Sasuke, move!" cried Katana. 

Gaara pushed off, attacking at enormous speed. The impact pulverized the branch Sasuke'd been standing on. Leaves and splinters burst from around the mutated beast. Katana had to shield her eyes to protect them, and jumped onto a lower branch, leaving Temari in a panic-stricken state. The Sand-kunoichi was no longer a priority. Gaara was. Sasuke was.
Katana witnessed her friend leaping back as the monstrous claw annihilated another branch. She hastily followed, his hand grabbing hers so they could both hide. Sasuke pushed Katana back against a sturdy oak, shielding her body with his own as he peered around the trunk.