Chapter Eight; Watchful eyes

The gates of the Hidden Leaf finally came into view. Kakashi couldn't wait to soak this damn mission off in a nice hot bath. Killing someone was never easy, but watching the Demon of the Hidden Mist and his student die had been more emotional than it should have been. Then again, they died for each other. What better death could there be? 
Groaning, Kakashi rolled his neck. The wounds he suffered in his confrontations against Zabuza hadn't quite healed as well as he hoped, and his leg was stinging again. Speaking of which... He glanced back at his squad. Sakura had done little fighting — barely any, in fact — so she was all right, but the boys got stuck right in the middle of a heated battle with Zabuza's pupil, Haku. Sasuke came so close to dying, and Naruto... well, it could have been a lot worse. That he'd been able to tap into the Demon Fox's chakra was worrisome. Hopefully, it would remain a onetime incident. 

"Boy, am I glad to be home!" exclaimed Naruto loudly. "I'm gonna head straight to Ichiraku's for the biggest bowl of ramen he has! Sakura, you wanna come?"

"Oh, um," the pink-haired girl turned to her other teammate. "Are you coming too, Sasuke?" 

"No, I need some peace after being stuck in a room with Naruto for so long," replied the raven dryly. "You go with him and make sure he doesn't choke on the noodles."

"As if I enjoyed sleeping in one room with you!" Naruto angrily waved his fist at Sasuke. "Who the hell wakes up at five in the morning to go running, huh?"

"Hmph, and you still wonder why I'm better than you."

"What? Why you little..."

Drowning out the ongoing bickering behind him, Kakashi returned his attention to the gates. He squinted upon seeing a group of people rather close to each other. Was someone awaiting their return? Had something happened? He hadn't received a reply after alerting the Hokage they were making their way back slowly after a successful but admittedly more hazardous mission, nor had the border patrol mentioned anything to them. 
Kakashi raised his headband a few inches, uncovering his Sharingan to distinguish the people better. Katana... with Izumo Kamizuki and Kotetsu Hagane? Odd. What would two of the best Chunin of the Leaf be doing with her? And just a little further, pretending to look at a store window, stood Kurenai Yuhi and Asuma Sarutobi, his fellow Jōnin. They seemed to keep an eye on the young maiko as well. Suddenly, Kakashi saw a brief reflection in the same window — the distinct mask of an ANBU Black Ops ninja from the Owl Division, specialized in reconnaissance.
Alerted by all the security around Katana, the silver-haired leader of Team 7 focused on the girl, dressed in a regular green outfit instead of a kimono. Dark circles edged her eyes, and she looked pale, too, like she hadn't slept in days. When the wind blew her unkempt hair across her face, she raised her hand to brush it away. Her reaction was sluggish, and... Kakashi narrowed his eyes at the bandages on her wrist. Did she try to...? No, surely not.

"KATANA!"

An orange blur raced past Kakashi. Izumo moved forward as Naruto jumped at Katana to hug her, but Kotetsu stopped his partner from coming between them. Kakashi was glad for it. The two teens weren't doing anything wrong after all. And by the manner in which the maiko held on to her friend, she clearly had been fearful about his safe return. It roused further suspicion something had happened since they hadn't exactly parted in the friendliest way.
Nodding at the pair of Chunin, Kakashi casually walked over to Asuma and Kurenai. He noticed Sasuke halting while Sakura fruitlessly tried to coax him to walk her home. But the young Uchiha only had eyes for Katana. He had awakened his Sharingan during the fight with Haku, so he must have noticed the same as Kakashi had. Wariness and concern lay hidden in Sasuke's expression to all but his teacher, and possibly Katana, as she tried to free herself from Naruto's tight embrace and reached for her other friend.