Chapter Seven; Crashing Waves

"You're upset."

"Gee, what gave you that idea?"

Katana sighed as Naruto stubbornly kept his head turned and his arms crossed over his chest. She'd dreaded this would happen.

"I didn't reply to your message because I didn't want to risk getting you in trouble," she tried again. He only scoffed. "Naruto, please don't be like this. You know Mameha watches my every move. I'm only allowed to talk to you because your sensei is just five feet away from us."

"Bet you still find a way to talk to Sasuke."

Katana's fingers closed into a fist at the accusing sneer. Her hand trembled as she tried to keep calm. It didn't help she could feel Sasuke's eyes on her. Because, yes, she did have a way to talk to him. Though the conversation was one-sided. It was short of a miracle no one had discovered Sasuke in the tree across from her window, using the leaves and branches as cover and staying as quiet as a mouse. Still, that was no excuse for Naruto to talk to her like this now. It wasn't her fault he had trouble being stealthy.

"Naruto, will you please just —?"

"We have a very important mission, Katana. Can't waste any time talking."

He brushed past her. Katana almost grabbed his wrist to make him stay and have it out with him, but that would only end in a fight. Naruto could be damn stubborn if he wanted to be. It was useless to reason with him when he was like this. And she didn't want to give Mameha further cause to keep them apart. 

"Fine," she murmured. "Good luck."

Katana went in the opposite direction, back toward the village, her white kimono rustling as she walked. She glimpsed at the man Team 7 was due to escort back to the Land of Waves, a bridge builder named Tazuna. He didn't appear like much else than a drunkard, but looks could be deceiving. As a maiko, Katana knew this better than anyone. She didn't spare Sakura a single glance, but did nod her head to Kakashi before halting in front of Sasuke. It felt so good to be close to him again. But it still wasn't close enough. 

"Take care," she said. 

"You too," he replied. 

"Will...? No, never mind."

Katana averted herself, but Sasuke halted her before she could walk on. She saw Kakashi flinch from the corner of her eye, but he did nothing to come between them.

"What did you want to ask?"

She bit her lip. "Will... you keep an eye on Naruto for me? Please?"

The young Uchiha's gaze darkened as he looked over Katana's shoulder to his teammate. She huffed at his expression. Of course he wouldn't. Those two would never get along. 

"All right."

Her head jerked up. 

"You owe me, though," added Sasuke. "Babysitting that loser is a full-time job."

Despite the insult he gave her friend, Katana beamed at him. "Thank you."

"Yeah, whatever."

Sasuke's fingers slipped down, and he pinched her hand as he let go to join his teammates and sensei. Katana lingered at the gates to watch them leave. The Land of Waves wasn't that far away, and there should be little trouble on the way there. And even if they encountered a problem, Kakashi was in the lead. He would protect them all. Her friends would be back soon. She would find a way to make things right with Naruto and to spend more time with both him and Sasuke. Everything would be all right.  

***

Arriving in the Land of Waves and Tazuna's seaside village proved more difficult than expected, but they finally made it to the bridge builder's home. Sasuke gave a tired sigh as he entered the room prepared for him and Naruto. He didn't feel like having that idiot as a roommate, but at least this way, he could look out for him. Naruto was bound to get himself killed eventually, but Sasuke couldn't fail in his promise to Katana. She would never forgive him.