Chapter Ten; Enemy at the gates

In one week's time, the peaceful Hidden Leaf Village gradually turned into a buzzing and effervescent epicenter of activity as they hosted one of the most important stepping stones in an aspiring ninja life — the Chunin Exams. Genin from all other lands gathered to prove their worth. Of the latest Leaf Academy graduates, three teams were offered the chance to compete as well; Team 8 with Shino Aburame, Kiba Inuzuka, and Hinata Hyuga, Team 10 with Shikamaru Nara, Choji Akamichi, and Ino Yamanaka... and Team 7. 
Though Katana smiled on the outside when she heard the news, she was dying on the inside. She heard enough talk from Jōnin about how brutal the Chunin Exams could be. They designed the tests to make the contestants fall into the most well-crafted traps. Some of the best Genin lost time and time again. And some did not return to their village at all. It all came down to teamwork. If the team was solid enough, they stood a chance.

Katana watched her friends train from where she sat in the shade of a big oak tree, following their every move. It was so strange to see them work together to improve their abilities. Usually, Sasuke wouldn't pay attention to anyone around him and just do his own stuff, while Naruto would attempt to mimic yet outdo him at the same time. But ever since the morning at the lake, they were... different. They were more patient and even applauded each other when an exercise went well, much to the approval of their sensei. This gave Katana some hope that they might make it out all right. 

"Hey! Watch it, Sasuke, you almost burned my hair off!"

All right, a smidge of hope only.

"Not my fault you have slow reflexes," replied Sasuke dryly. "I told you to keep track of my hand signs so you can counter my attacks."

"All the signs for Fire-style Jutsu are alike," retorted Naruto. "It's hard to know one from the other."

"That's the lamest excuse ever."

Katana watched Naruto clench his fists. He gritted his teeth, probably itching to talk back to his teammate. But to her astonishment, he didn't.

"Can you show me one more time, please?" he asked. 

Sasuke pinched the bridge of his nose. Then, he grunted in exasperation and sat down in the grass, beckoning Naruto to him. 

"This is the last time I'm doing this," said Sasuke. "You can borrow some scrolls to study tonight, so you're prepared for tomorrow."

"Okay, thanks."

And so, the raven Uchiha went over all of his techniques with the blond Uzumaki for the fifth time that week. He didn't hold back a single one, not even the Phoenix Sage Jutsu, one of the most difficult to perform and nearly impossible to evade. It needed utmost concentration, as it required spitting out a volley of small fireballs into the air. To an opponent, though, it appeared as though there was only one fireball that then burst into many. Sasuke only used Phoenix Sage in emergencies, as he didn't have full control over each individual flame with his chakra. Yet despite that, he had already established enough mastery over the flames' movements to combine the attack with his shuriken.
Naruto jumped up and demanded his teammate use that attack against him and his clones. Not one to back away from a challenge — and certainly not when the challenger was Naruto — Sasuke obliged with an amused smirk on his lips. 

"What do you think?" asked Katana, her eyes never leaving her friends. 

"They're certainly getting along better," answered a male voice from above. "But if it'll be enough for the Chunin Exams..."

"If you have your doubts, why did you tell them to enter?" 

"I didn't tell them anything. I simply handed them the forms. It's up to them if they show up tomorrow."