Chapter Seventeen; Rising tensions

Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage of the Village Hidden in the Leaves, was dead. Perished in the fight against his former student, one of the three legendary Sannin — Orochimaru. The villain had tricked the Sand into believing he was their Kazekage to stage the attack, killing the real one on his way to the finals of the Chunin Exams. Both villages suffered heavy losses. Both villages mourned their dead and tended to their injured. And both villages needed another to take on the mantle of Kage. But that was easier said than done.
The Sand returned to the desert in shame, while the Leaf could do nothing else but rebuild. All citizens, no matter how small or old, infirm or injured, rallied to the cause. The Jōnin were tasked with securing the defenses with ANBU, while the Chunin and Genin took on manual labor or volunteered at the hospital. Yet one group remained absent.

"How is your team doing?" asked Kurenai, as she joined Kakashi on his way to the top of the Hokage Tower.

"As well as expected," he replied. "They've been through a lot yesterday. Especially Naruto and Sasuke."

"They seemed okay at the funeral this morning."

"Physically, sure. Doctors cleared them last night. But mentally... Something happened in those woods, Kurenai. Something aside from their fight with the Sand-Jinchuriki. I just wish I knew what."

"I thought Pakkun was with them?"

"He's catatonic. Won't eat, won't sleep, hides under my bed... I've never seen him so frightened."

Kakashi felt like he was still putting it mildly. The brown ninken was absolutely terrified. He'd tried everything to get him to talk, but not even the other ninja hounds had gotten Pakkun to come out of hiding. Over and over, the dog whimpered and murmured inaudibly to himself. His behavior was unsettling and had kept Kakashi up all night. Another reason he wasn't looking forward to the meeting with the elders. 

"I'll ask Kiba if he and Akamaru can stop by," said Kurenai. 

Kakashi gave a weary sigh. "I hadn't even thought of asking the Inuzuka clan for help. Thank you. Tell the boy to come by in an hour. And give Asuma my condolences again when you see him. Losing a parent is brutal on any child, no matter their age."

"I will."

They said their goodbyes, and the silver-haired leader of Team 7 climbed the last staircase alone, fortifying himself to deal with the elders. Were it any other day, he wouldn't have even bothered to show up. His team needed his attention, as did his hound. 

And Katana... I need to check on her as well. 

Seeing the teens in his care emerging from the forest, bruised and beaten, hadn't been nearly as shocking as seeing Katana unconscious in Sasuke's arms. He'd meant to take her from him, but the young Uchiha had stubbornly refused to let go and had carried her to the hospital himself, with Naruto in tow. 
Kakashi didn't understand why Katana had even been in the forest to begin with. Last he'd seen her, she was with the Hokage and Mameha. In retrospect, it was probably a good thing she hadn't been near them, as both had been trapped in the barrier with Orochimaru. The girl's previous encounter with that vile snake was still fresh on Kakashi's mind... as was her claim of the only other surviving Uchiha being closer than they all assumed.  

I can't fail my duty again. I have to protect Katana at all costs, even if that means I have to defect and take her away from the village. The boys can join us in due time, but she is my priority. History can't be allowed to repeat itself. 

"Ah, there he is. Welcome, Hatake."

Kakashi, so lost in thought, halted at the gritty voice of the only female on the Leaf Council, Koharu Utatane. He acknowledged her and her partner, Homura Mitokado, with a nod. His uncovered eye then traveled to the two other figures — Danzo Shimamura and... Mameha? He understood why the head of the ANBU Black Ops was here, but why was the geisha as well? She had no business with the Council or Hokage, unless it was to discuss matters pertaining to the okiya or its inhabitants.