1 Chapter

Chelsea's POV

An incalculable amount of two-eyed, four-legged monsters were chasing after me throughout the woods. My heart was pacing, and the residue of air in my lungs was not enough for me to keep running. I wanted to look back and see who I was running from, but I was afraid to trip over... Again. Incrementally slowing down activated my trepidation, and I stopped completely to look back. As soon as I did, two red eyes flew straight into me, and I screamed as loud as I could.

Rapidly, I sat up in my bed, out of breath, as if I had been actually sprinting in the woods. I lifted my head to see if there weren't any shadows looming over me. There weren't. However, I didn't feel relieved. The tension in my chest increased after each time of these ghoulish nightmares that kept me awake. I leaped out of my bed and opened my therapy book/diary.

September 3rd

We live in our small world, skipping throughout the day as if everything we see is usual. A routine. We wake up, go to school or work, and get back and get our free time until everything repeats. Books and movies are where you can catch a glimpse of another universe. Isn't that the purpose? To get us out of this world for at least a few hours. God, life's so boring sometimes... Why was I born a human?

Chelsea

I shut my diary and exhaled while appreciating how pretty the lights illuminated my room. I loved the cozy rooms I would find on social media, but my room was nothing like it. Even though we lived in LA, I had never wanted to live in a modern shiny white house. Unfortunately, I was 17 and had no choice when it came to houses because my parents were the ones buying them. My dad was a real estate agent, and my mom was a nurse. Besides that, they bought houses and renovated them until they could sell them. In other words, I saw them rarely. Especially my dad. Sometimes it felt like I didn't have parents at all. I could have bristled at their behavior, but I chose to ignore my feelings.

The worst part was that I had cheer practice tomorrow, and I hated it. My parents wanted me to be busy, so I wouldn't notice them being gone. Little did they know I skipped all the extracurricular activities they had chosen for me. Instead, I usually went to the beach, wrote in my diary, and stayed in my mind as much as possible. I tried to make my existence a little less monotonous.

My head was spinning from the lack of oxygen because it was hot in Los Angeles. I opened the window, turned the lights off, and went to bed. It used to be the best time of the day but now I dreaded it. I closed my eyes and plunged into my imaginary world to evade the bad thought.

It was hard to fight the monsters in my head. They were all that would appear when I closed my eyes. Slowly devouring my sanity, they kept coming back to me each night. My therapist told me that it was my inside demons that I had to overcome to achieve my best version. Nevertheless, I felt like those prowling animals weren't my consequence trying to fix me. I had been having those dreams after reading a book that I had found in my dad's stuff. It had some realistic illustrations of the same monsters I had been dreaming about. At this first, I thought they were just that, monsters. But I slowly started seeing an animal behind that. A wolf.

One Year Ago, Montana.

Angela's POV (TW: Blood, death.)

You don't have to read this part since it's a bit extreme. It's meant to show how cruel the villain of this story is, but if you decide to skip it, this incident will be explained later in the story in a sensitive way.

He finally left me alone after hours of pretending that I was happily in love with him. I was in his cabin in the woods. We used to spend all our time together here. I ran to the window to check if I was actually alone without any creatures lurking in the bushes. It was dark, plus the rain was pouring, making mud in this area. It was hard to walk in this forest as it was, but when it was raining like this, it left no chance for me to run away.