6 Chapter

Chelsea's POV

Yesterday was terrifying, yet I couldn't stop thinking about it. A life was taken by a monster yesterday, and no one did anything effective about it. No one. Ryan's mother seemed to be the only person overworking to solve these cases, but it was clear that no one else wanted to stick their noses into it. They were afraid.

People were gossiping at school. Absurd theories and rumors that Elaisa died from an overdose or that she was brutally raped and left to die kept hitting my ears. I couldn't help but think about what they would say about me if something like this happened. Probably Rachel would start first.

"New girl!" A petite girl ran up to me and handed me a leaflet. "Join our cheerleading group! Will you?" She smiled and left, so I got that the question was rhetorical.

Cheerleading? Not a chance. I better hide this from my mother.

Well, at last, I was going to history class. I had heard only good reviews about this class. More about the teacher anyway.

Mister Calivan. He was our history teacher. All the girls were chattering behind his back, and almost everyone took the first seats, so I chose to sit in the third row. The school was a boring place, so fantasizing about a certain teacher was their escape from reality.

The foundations of American democracy.

That was what he wrote on the board. Sounded dreadfully boring, so I sighed.

"Third row, the girl from the left. Do you find this boring?" The teacher pointed at me, and everyone turned their head to me except Keith. The guy seemed pissed today. Was he mad at me?

"Maybe, a bit." I gulped because I was shocked myself.

"Alright." He said in a British accent. "Authority, privacy, responsibility, and justice. These words. Do they sound familiar?"

"I guess." I was really uncomfortable.

"You guess?" He raised his eyebrows. "A guess only can take you so far. You have to know. That is why you all are here. Some of you might find yourself in situations where knowing history will save your life. So, no sleeping here. Let's get to work."

Even though he embarrassed me in front of my new class, I couldn't deny that he was a great historian. Maybe if I had a little more interest in history, I would have been a great student.

The bell rang, and no surprise, all the girls were still in class. Apparently, they had questions and wanted to speak with Mr. Calivan. That was my cue to leave when I saw Finn standing in the doorway. My instinct was to start trudging and possibly evade this encounter.

"Chelsea Maillet?" I heard my name and turned around. "Come here." Mr. Calivan motioned to me. "Did I bore you to death?"

I awkwardly smiled and shook my head

"Good. Because I believe that you will find history interesting this year." He handed me a paper with dates. "All the assignments you will have to do this year."