Chapter 9

I hadn't seen much of Toto and Jack over the three weeks after Bahrain. Toto went off to spend time with his other 2 kids and to celebrate Jack's birthday. A quick FaceTime call on the day before they went out for their day of activities was the most I had seen really, and I had taken the opportunity to continue the work in my apartment. I had painted the toilet room and Faye's brother came over to help me change the toilet to a new one. The room was completed with some finishing touches of small decor items. I had also started work on the laundry, painting it and preparing for when the cabinet makers come in to change all the cabinetry in the apartment.

Faye had a family wedding which she had invited me to months prior on the Saturday before the race. This meant that I had to fly out on my own on Sunday morning to Italy for the race. I was excited to go to Italy and be able to enjoy some authentic Italian food.

It was a really nice cozy wedding and we all had the best time celebrating their union. Faye had just dropped me off at the airport and I boarded the plane. It was early and I really had to use my best convincing to get Faye to drop me off, especially after the wedding yesterday. I was in my seat and thought I should message Toto to let him know I am on my way.

Me - Hey Toto. I have boarded the plane and on my way to Italy! I will see you soon :)

Toto - Good morning Amelia. A driver will be waiting to pick you up and take you to drop your bags off at the hotel. Then he will bring you to the track. Have a good flight. TW

The flight was surprisingly brief and by the time I landed, the small headache from the hangover had dissipated. I smiled when I had collected my bags and saw a man holding up a sign with my name on it. I approached and got in the car. It wasn't long until we were at the hotel and I was heading into the foyer to go up to the room.

I quickly placed my bags down and freshened up, washing my face a little and putting on some natural makeup. I changed into a pair of ripped black jeans and a white sweater styled top due to the cold Italian air. I put my Doc Martins back on and then headed down to the driver where he escorted me to the track. I swiped my pass and made my way down to Toto's office where I assumed him and Jack would be.

I walked into the home and noticed Lewis and Jack standing about 5 metres apart, a soccer ball between them as they kicked softly to each other. Lewis was getting in the small amount of downtime he could before the race started and Angela was on the couch monitoring to ensure the boys didn't get too rowdy.

As soon as Jack saw me, he wrapped around my legs and I bent down to give him a proper cuddle. "I missed you Mi." His soft voice was tender and sweet and I couldn't help but miss him over our time apart. I said hello to Lewis and Ang and then headed over to Toto's office.

When I walked in, Toto was sat at his desk, focused on the work that was sitting in front of him. I cleared my throat and his eyes lifted briefly before they darted back down.

"I got you your own jacket this weekend." He says, clearly noticing that I only had on my light sweater. I smiled as he quickly turned and grabbed the bag from next to his own. I appreciatively accepted the gift and opened it to see one of the infamous Mercedes' jackets.

"Oh yay! Now I can really say fuck your jacket and mean it." I quip back at him and give him a cheeky look. He looks up from his paperwork and leans back in his chair, clearly amused by the conversation we were having.

"Why didn't you mean it before?" He asks, his smirk was subtle but enough to know he was interested in the conversation. He knew he was walking on thin ice about the subject but was willing to risk it for some banter. My cheeks heated up a little at his response.