Chapter 13

I had spent a lot of time with Jack and Toto over the period of time between the two races. Toto was obviously busy with the team preparing for the upcoming races but as soon as it was time for family, he was completely committed to it.

The day before we were due to fly out to Portugal, Jack came down with a cold of some description. He was heavily congested and coughing a lot and we decided it would be best if we stayed back. I told Toto I would look after Jack while he went to the race.

On Friday, my whole day consisted of snotty tissues, Disney movies and holding a germ-filled 4 year old in my arms as he slept. I made a big pot of hot soup for the next couple of days. I watched the practices and was pleased to see decent performances from both cars.

Lewis went P5 in Practice 1 but managed to get a better run in Practice 2 finishing with P1. Bottas did well getting P1 in the first practice and P3 in the second practice. I was in contact with Toto fleetingly through the day, mostly keeping him updated on Jack. I fell asleep in my bed with Jack before we managed to get a call in once Toto got back to his room.

When we woke up on Saturday, I made Jack some breakfast, trying to encourage him to eat at least some bread was difficult but a promise of an ice-cream when he was feeling better was all it took in the end. Jack and I spent the rest of the day on the couch. I comforted him as he cuddled into me, something that made my heart melt a little.

When practice came on, Jack was sure to try and cheer on his two friends out on the track. Even through all of his sickness, he had the racing bug implanted in his DNA. He watched as Verstappen finished in P1 with Hamilton close behind and Bottas third.

There was 3 hours between practice and qualifying and Jack and I filled it by reading some books together and playing some games on his iPad. Jack seemed to be on the mend now, slowly recovering from the nasty flu that he had.

When qualifying came around, Jack and I watched intently. Jack clapped whenever Toto was on the screen and whenever Lewis or Valterri were shown in their cars. He cheered when Bottas qualified P1 and was even happier to see Lewis in P2, locking out the front row.

"Can we call dad Mimi?" He asked, looking at me as soon as the coverage finished. I smiled and shook my head gently. He looked a little disappointed, clearly wanting to discuss the results with his dad.

"He has to do media buddy. We will give him a call once he is finished." I explain and he nods softly as he rests his head down on the pillow. I message Toto and tell him to call when he is finished to talk to Jack. I chuck on a show for Jack and walk to the kitchen, putting my hair into a messy bun.

I decided to cook spaghetti bolognese for dinner. While I am cooking, my phone rings and I quietly pick it up. "Well don't you look all beautiful tonight." Toto says immediately and I smile softly.

"Oh hush you." I say and he laughs gently. "I am cooking spaghetti bolognese." I comment and place my phone down as I keep stirring the pot full of sauce. He looks exhausted, bags under his eyes giving away his condition.

"Jack is a lucky boy." He remarks, his eyes softening slowly as he rests his head back against the headboard of his bed. "Where is he?" He asks. I look through to the living room to see him still resting on the couch watching TV.

"He is watching Bluey in the lounge. I have seen enough of that dog in the last 48 hours. You owe me big time Wolff." I comment, giving Toto a stern look to show how serious I was that I had reached my Bluey quota for the weekend.

He smirks, the expression something I had missed so much in the few days I hadn't seen him. "Oh how will I make it up to you?" He asks and I laugh at the way his strong accent wrapped around the words.