24 chapter

"The Past."

-May 13, 2001-

Day. A boy with black hair and red eyes walks through the streets of Tokyo. He was dressed all in black, with a mask and cap hiding his face.

That's Dmitri. He has recently moved into his new home and is now exploring the area.

Walking down the street, he noticed a girl about his age, with dark brown hair and bright green eyes, wearing a blue dress and white sneakers. She was on the other side of the road, walking toward a traffic light.

Dima shifted his gaze and started walking down the green light without looking around.

A truck flew out of the corner of the road, and at breakneck speed it sped toward Dima. He could have quickly avoided the collision with the truck, but the girl running at him pushed him away, falling on top of him, and they ended up on one side of the road together.

The truck quickly dashed past and drove on, not even slowing down.

- Are you crazy? What are you doing? I could have avoided the collision myself," Dima began to say, rising on his elbows.

- I'm glad.

- What?

- I'm glad you're okay," the girl said and smiled dully.

It amused Dima.

- Ha... I see you're brave, aren't you? - Dima asked, looking at the stranger.

- Yes! I am brave! I am not afraid of anything! By the way, what's your name? My name is Nanami, Nanami Yedo, but you can just call me Nana! - She introduced herself, still smiling all over her mouth at Dima.

- You can call me Red, Nana. Let's meet," Dima said, watching Nana's eyes light up.

- Yes," Nanami took Red's hands and pressed them to hers. - Nana and Red! Now we are friends! - she said cheerfully, meeting her happy, green eyes, which blazed with life, with Red's red emotionless eyes.

- You have beautiful eyes, Red. You chose your nickname by your eyes, they're red," Nana said, still looking into Dima's eyes.

Dimitri was a little shocked, because it was the first time anyone had complimented his eyes.

- Do you like my eyes?

- Yes, they are beautiful.

***

-June 9, 2002; Time 20:03-

- Red! Look how beautiful the bear cubs are! - Nana said, pointing to the storefront window behind which sat a medium-sized white bear.

- Nana, come on, your parents will kill me if I don't take you home. It's eight o'clock at night," complained Dmitri.

- Well, Radishka! They will wait, we are friends, we even have friendship bracelets, - said Nana, showing the bracelet on her left hand, which was also on Red's right hand.

- No waiting, period," Red said and threw Nana on his shoulder.

- Hey, Red, put me down. That's not fair! How can you be so strong? - Nana slapped Dima on the back.

Red was silent and carried Nanami home, and she relented, but she didn't stop talking.

-June 10, 2002; Time 08:27-

It was morning time, Nana had just woken up. She reached up and looked at the nightstand that was next to her bed. On it lay that bear she had asked Red for, and a note.

Nanami got excited and picked up the bear and hugged it. Taking the note, she read it.

"Don't whine anymore.

Red."

Nana only laughed and continued to hug the bear.

-June 10, 2002; Time 16:58-

The time was almost five in the evening. Dima knew that Nanami liked to be late, but not this late.

He decided to ask her out for a walk together. After walking a few streets, he saw her house, and a crowd had gathered near it, with the police and ambulance in sight.

As he got closer, he was able to get through the crowd and stopped near the tape.

A body was being carried out of the house. It was like an electric shock when a body with a rainbow bracelet on its arm was carried out of the house.

- God...

- They heard screaming today, so the neighbors called the police.

- Poor family, they're very young.

- I can't tell you, and the child is only eleven or so, she hasn't even had time to live, and she's died such a horrible death.

- They say the killer attacked this family, brutally murdered them, and fled. I wonder what the police will do? - heard Dima from the crowd.

The crowd didn't notice Red at all, and Red in turn just stared blankly at the corpse's arm, where the rainbow bracelet was. This went on until the bodies were loaded into the ambulance and driven away.

The crowd gradually began to disperse, but the cops stayed, for the murder had to be investigated.

Dmitri just turned around and went back to his place, but he noticed a polar bear not far from the house where the bodies had been found. The very same bear he had given to Nana.

He approached the bear and took it in his hands and looked at it; it was covered in blood, but Dima didn't care.

After standing for a while, he went on home.

-June 18, 2002; Time 19:41-

Rain. Dima didn't like it much, but Nanami liked it.

Now it's raining, Dima is sitting in front of Nanami Yedo's grave.

In his hands was a clean white teddy bear, which he had scrubbed clean of blood. The scarlet eyes, which had only expressed interest in Nanami, became empty again, emotionless, and lost all the fire of life.

Putting the bear down beside the grave, Dima stood with his head down a little and tears began to flow from his eyes. Red could afford to cry, for the rain hid everything.

"I'm sorry, Nana."

***

Three days after Nanami Yedo's body was buried, the killer was found, but already dead and hanging from a power line.

To be continued...