one. band geek

chapter one,suzie, do you copy?

chapter one,
suzie, do you copy?

・ 。゚☆ "harrington!" lola wheeler called, propping herself up on the counter of scoops ahoy ice cream parlour, erratically ringing the bell that sat beside the cash register.

"jesus, wheeler-" steve scoffed, emerging from the backroom and snatching the bell from her hands. "what the hell do you think you're doing?"

"uh, waiting for ice cream?" the girl frowned, her shoulders shrugging. "god, the service here is crap."

the mall had become lola's new favourite place since it opened. she didn't have a job unlike steve and her sister, so she had no real obligations to attend to during the summer. most of her friends were either hanging out with their boyfriends, or doing something so ridiculously boring that lola ceased to care. so, she spent her days at the mall; shopping during the day, getting hot dog on a stick with steve on his lunch breaks, and going to the movie theatre during the evenings.

"what do you mean? i'm a great employee!" steve protested.

"a great employee abides by company policy." the brunette explained, a teasing smirk on her face as she nodded towards the boy's hair. "where's your hat, popeye?"

"i'm not wearing the frickin' hat, lola."

"put the hat on, steve."

"lola-"

"hat on."

steve let out an overly-exaggerated sigh, grabbing the sailor's hat he had crumpled up and reluctantly placing it on his head. "there. you happy now?"

"not quite. still didn't get my icecream. one cherry cone, please." she beamed. "with extra sprinkles."

"four dollars."

lola gasped, feigning horror. "what, i dont get a discount?"

steve bore the girl a look, beginning to scoop her ice cream.

the pair had been best friends since middle school, when steve was the cool, cute guy in the grade above who shared his tater tots and helped the wheeler girl rise to popularity. but they hit a little rocky patch in their friendship when high school hit and steve became somewhat of a grade-a jerk, and started dating lola's twin sister, nancy. however, being in life-threatening danger and fighting unearthly monsters alongside a freaky bald girl with super powers really seems to bring people together.

"you think you know a person," she shook her head, digging into the back pocket of her jeans to retrieve a five dollar bill. "what time do you get off? i really wanna see that new movie with the time travel and the hot-"