nine. never-ending story

chapter eight,the battle of starcourt (part ii

chapter eight,
the battle of starcourt (part ii.)

・ 。゚☆ "jesus, how far is this place, man?" steve asked, as they drove along the dark road, the only light being from the car's headlights. 'higher and higher' blared on the speakers and lola bopped her head along to thr music, grinning widely.

"relax, we're almost there."

"hey, i love this song!" lola tapped the side of the car. "your love! keeps lifting me higher! higher and higher-!"

"you're such a dingus." robin laughed fondly, rolling her eyes at the girl. "and you said tammy thimpson was a terrible singer."

"you shush back there, buckley!"

"suzie must be pretty special, huh? i mean, if you built this thing and lugged it all the way to the middle of nowhere just to talk to her?"

"i mean, nobody's scientifically perfect, but suzie's about as close to being perfect as any human being could possibly be." dustin smiled.

"oh my god, that is so adorable." lola awhed, holding a hand over her heart. "genuinely."

"she sounds made-up to me." erica hummed, unconvinced. "she sound made-up to you?"

steve didn't say anything, looking away and focusing on the road in front.

"why are you hesitating, steve?"

"i'm- i'm not! i'm not!" he defended. "i think she sounds real. you know, totally, absolutely real..."

"left. turn left." dustin instructed.

"there's not a road here-"

"-turn left now!"

"jesus! hang on!" steve yelled, swerving the car to the left, and sending it trudging up a grassy hill. "henderson, where are we going?"

"up!"

lola, robin and erica yelped as the car crashed through a wooden fence. "what the shit!"

"we're not gonna make it!" the car started to slow down as they got closer to the peak of the hill, making strained whirring noises.

"yes, we are! come on, baby. come on!" steve yelled, slamming on the dashboard with his hand.

despite his efforts, the car stayed stuck in the grass, and steve sighed, eventually giving up.