Beach Conversation

Nick was lying on a towel at the beach. He had Charlie cuddled beside him, his eyes closed as he basked in the sweltering sun. It had been a day full of fun, and hugging and kissing. But when Nick told Charlie that he wanted to come out to his mum, he hadn't really thought about how he was going to go about that.

"Char?" he asked, and his eyes fluttered open. Then he turned, so they were facing each other.

"Yeah?" he responded, smiling when they met eyes.

"How... how did you come out to your mum?"

Charlie's eyes widened, and he shrugged his shoulders. "Well, it was a year and a half ago. I was 13, and it just kind of slipped out. Everyone was supportive, but I didn't mean for it to happen. I guess it just worked out in my favour."

"What exactly did you say? I mean, after they found out."

"I accidentally told them I had a crush on this male TV character, and then they just asked 'you know, do you like boys?' And I just came out like that."

"May I ask which fictional character you're referring to?" Nick asked, smiling.

"No, because you'll make fun of me, and you make fun of me enough as it is."

"I do not! And I promise, I won't make fun of you. I'm really curious."

Charlie sighed, laughing at himself and shaking his head. "Flynn Rider."

"From that stupid Disney film for eight-year-olds?"

"Shut up! You said you wouldn't bully me about it! Me and Tao love that movie. We watch it at least once a month."

"That's so adorable."

"You think I'm adorable? Look at you! You have a face like a puppy, really strong rugby arms, and you're really tall, which I like. Oh also, your smile is really cute."

"Aww, thank you Charlie! I love it when you compliment me."

"You do?" Charlie asked, smiling innocently, and staring into his eyes.

"Yes, but complimenting you is better."

"There's no need for that," Charlie assured, looking back up to the sky.

"Yeah, there is!" Nick said, emphasizing his words and making it seem like the most obvious thing ever. "First of all, your hair is just chef's kiss, like all the time, and you have beautiful brown eyes, and—" he paused. "Oi! Are you even listening to me?"

"Sorry, I don't want to seem too full of myself," Charlie whispered, turning back to look at him.

Nick eyed him for a second, and his lids narrowed. "Charlie, you really need to learn to not apologize for anything, especially when you don't need to. "

Charlie opened his mouth, then closed it, laughing to himself. "Okay. Can you continue with the compliments now?"

Grinning, Nick said, "Well, you always dress really nicely, like as a nerd, but like in a good way."

"Wow, thanks."

"Also, you're extremely smart, and I don't know how you manage it, but I want to know your secrets so I can do as good as you."

Color filled Charlie's cheeks, but he didn't look away in embarrassment, instead just kept looking at Nick, waiting for him to continue.

"And, how are you so good at Mario Kart?"

"Me and Tori used to play a lot when we were younger, then she moved on to other things, so I was kind of left with a useless talent."

"Well, it not useless anymore! Now I can try to get as good as you!"

They both chuckled, then Nick wrapped his other arm around Charlie, so he was hugging him. Charlie froze, but he hugged back after a few seconds.

"What was that for?" he said once he pulled away.

"Can I not hug my boyfriend?"

"Oh, well, I guess so." Charlie smiled to himself, looking to the side. "But does that mean that you can kiss me, too?"

Nick grinned warmly, sitting up, so he was above Charlie, and first he pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, making his heart pound, and then he kissed his lips.

Charlie kissed back immediately, his hand moving to his cheek, and Nick's moving on to his shoulder, pushing him down to the ground. The sun was shining warmly on their skin, and the entire world felt like it was on fire.

"Mhm, I love you," Nick said, and Charlie pulled away.

"You- you do?"

Nick shook his head, laughing to himself. "God, are you that oblivious?"

"Well, you've never said it before!"

Nick stood up from the beach towel, running towards the water just like he did before. "I LOVE CHARLIE SPRING!" he yelled into the waves.

"You like me, and now you love me?" Charlie said, coming up from behind him.

"I've always loved you! Since I first laid my eyes on you in form."

"Really?" Charlie asked, grinning from ear to ear. 

"YES!" Nick exclaimed, grabbing his hand and squeezing it.

"I love you too, so much," he said. "I'll love you forever."