Drum Lesson

"So, what's lesson number one?" Nick asked nervously.

Nick had desperately wanted to learn how to play the drums since he had first learned that Charlie played them many months ago. But as he sat on the seat of the drum kit, staring at the instrument in front of him, he wondered if this really had been a good idea after all.

"Well, you have to get the drumsticks first," Charlie replied with a giggle, the kind of sound that immediately made Nick smile. Charlie passed them to him, and he took them gingerly in his hands. "Now, just start drumming, I guess."

"Last time I did that, you said I was terrible."

"Oh." Charlie shifted uncomfortably, but Nick gave him a reassuring smile. "Well, I'm sure you'll be better now."

"Alright, I'll try." Nick's eyes grazed over the set, and then he started hitting random drums, and occasionally, the cymbal. Every once in a while, he would look up at Charlie, who would immediately start smiling. After a few minutes, Nick put down the drumsticks and turned back to face his boyfriend.

Charlie tilted his head in confusion. "What's wrong?"

Nick sighed, putting down the drumsticks. "It's no use, I'm terrible at this." Suddenly, a fantastic idea popped into his brain. "Can we make out instead?"

A smile crept up on Charlie's lips, but he pushed away the thought, his smile disappearing almost as quickly as it formed. "Don't give up this soon!" he said encouragingly.

"Music is nothing like rugby. I have no clue how you're good at both."

"You're the real rugby star." Charlie paused, then added: "Stop stalling."

Nick groaned. "Fine!" He picked up the drumsticks and started hitting the drums again, but this time he really tried to find a rhythm by tapping his foot a bit.

"Hey, that sounds better!" Charlie exclaimed, clapping his hands together excitedly.

Smiling, Nick kept drumming, closing his eyes as he got into the music. After a few minutes, he stopped and looked up at Charlie with beaming eyes.

"That was awesome!" Charlie said enthusiastically and grinned when he saw the excited look on Nick's face.

"It was?"

"Yes!"

"Wow, maybe I am destined to be a drummer after all!"

They both laughed, then a comfortable silence fell over them for a few moments.

"So..." Charlie said, a smile creeping back up on his face. "About what you said earlier..."

Nick looked up at Charlie from the drum set with confusion, and then he came to a realization. He stood up, then placed his hands around Charlie's waist, pulling him in close to him for a kiss.

Charlie smiled into his lips and kissed back, his arms coming up around Nick's neck.

"I love you," Charlie whispered, and they stared at each other, their faces almost touching.

"I love you too."