Starry Starry Night

There was a comfortable silence between Nick Nelson and Charlie Spring—their breathing hardly audible with the increasingly loud sound of crickets, and the faint gushes of wind blowing scarlet and chartreuse leaves all about the clearing.

It was a cool, autumn evening squashed in mid-October where the temperature was nearing freezing, but not quite cold enough to see the first snow of the season. However, it was chilly enough that Nick and Charlie had an array of blankets piled on each other, and even an electric heater to keep them warm, as well as warm sweaters, thanks to Nick. Even with many layers it was a struggle to keep warm, so the happy couple decided to cling on to each other to conserve heat; or maybe that was just an excuse, as Nick's car was just 10 metres away and was well equipped with heating capabilities, including butt warmers, which they both thoroughly enjoyed in the recent months.

But seeing the dazzling stars through the cracked windshield would never be as good as staring at them from the ground on sleeping bags. The more Charlie stared, the more stars seemed to appear; each brighter and more impressive than the last.

The same phenomenon seemed to happen when he stared into the eyes of his boyfriend. Those honey-brown irises mesmerized Charlie. They twinkled and glowed when they caught the yellow sunlight, and in the dark they reflected off of the moon and the stars. Charlie loved staring into Nick's eyes—and when they stared back at him, his heart fluttered deeply, just like it did the day they first met in form a year ago.

When Nick and Charlie's lips met, it was like fireworks on New Year's Day. An explosion went off in Charlie's head, even with the relative silence. His lips tingled, and his arms snaked around Nick's broad shoulders, pulling him closer.

Being alone with Nick was like chocolate—addictive in the best way possible. Anytime they were together was heaven; no matter how it was spent. Cuddling, doing homework, reading, making out, the list was endless. Charlie loved it all. Even the times when they had little fights, or when Charlie was having a not-so-great day, no matter how much they wanted the other to leave, in their hearts they yearned for the other to stay.

That was what it was like now, like every other date, or hangout. All Charlie felt was pure love. Even though they hadn't said that to each other yet, they felt and expressed it every single day.

Right now, Charlie never wanted to remove himself from Nick's strong embrace, or lift his head from his always-beating chest. And he knew Nick didn't either.

When a shooting star projected through the sky, Charlie realized one thing.

Nick Nelson was paradise.