Insecurities

Nick was sitting in Mr. Ajayi's class, Charlie by his side. They had finished eating their lunches, and were talking together, like they did twice a week, when suddenly both their phones got a notification at the same time.

They picked them up, and after reading the message, smiled at each other. It was from their group-chat with Tara and Darcy, titled "the three raging gays and one bisexual."

Tara: do you guys want to come to a restaurant or something with Darcy and me tomorrow night? It will be our gay double date :)

"Uh, yeah!" Nick said out loud, and Charlie laughed.

They both typed a quick response and then put their phones down.

"Well, we're both done eating lunch," Nick checked his watch, "and we have 12 minutes until next period, so I think we should make use of our time."

Charlie raised his eyebrows, staring at Nick, smiling slightly. "Well, what do you suggest we do?"

"Make out?" Nick said, grinning. "Like you didn't know we were going to do that already."

Standing up, Charlie went over to the door, closing and locking it. "I don't want us to be caught," he explained as a matter-of-factly.

"It wouldn't be the end of the world. Whoever it was would see how lucky I am to me making out with a boy as cute as you."

"We're wasting time," Charlie said, as if to dismiss his comment, and grabbed Nick's white shirt, pulling him closer to him.

"Hey, that's my favourite shirt," Nick whined.

"Shut up," Charlie replied, silencing him with a kiss.

___

The next day after school, Nick was waiting by his front door, ready to open it, when he saw Charlie approaching his house. They had decided they would get ready for the date together, since Nick's mum would drive them to the diner they were meeting at.

When he saw Charlie—who was dressed in a yellow button-up shirt, red converse, and black pants—he ran out the door, enveloping him in his arms as soon as they came into contact.

"Mmm, Nick, what was that for?" Charlie said once they pulled apart, scratching his head.

"I missed you."

"We were just at school like an hour ago!"

"A whole hour is too long," Nick said, grabbing his hand and pulling him inside the house.

They ran up a flight of stairs, then down a hallway to Nick's room. As soon as they entered, Charlie went to the mirror in his room and started fiddling with his hair.

"Hey, what are you doing? Your hair looks fine."

"This one piece is sticking out and I don't like it," Charlie replied, trying to put it back in its original spot.

"You look great, Char."

Charlie put his hands down, turning around so he could face Nick. "I guess if you use that nickname on me, then what you're saying must be true."

"Exactly." Nick walked towards him, resting his hand on Charlie's cheek, rubbing his thumb against it. "It is impossible for you to look bad, Charlie."

He smiled gratefully, and then sat on Nick's bed, slumping down. He looked sad, and it made Nick's guts wrench.

"Char, what's wrong?" he said, sitting next to him, and grabbing his hand.

"I'm sorry, it's just that someone at school said something, and it really made me feel... not good."