Two

I woke up the next morning, opening the  fridge to find something to eat. I toasted a slice of bread and turned on the TV. A news channel was on.

"We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We dont have a lot of details now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the victim's name although we are told they're currently in the process of notifying the family."

The trailer the woman stood in front of was Eddie's. Why would a body be at Eddie's? The only person I know that knows Eddie is Mike Wheeler but I overheard he was out of town. Dustin Henderson was the only other person I could count on. I threw on black jeans and a flannel and left the house.

I made it to Henderson's house and knocked. Dustin opened it and furrowed his brows. I noticed his mom sitting on the couch and sent a subtle wave. Maxine Mayfield was also standing behind him.

"Can we talk somewhere private?" I asked quietly.

Dustin led me to his room. I explained why I came and Max explained to me that she thinks the body was Chrissy Cunningham's.

"Why the hell would Chrissy Cunningham be at Eddie the freak Munson's place? Are you sure it was her?" I sat on his bed confused.

"Yes, she was in her cheerleader outfit. It was the same thing she was in when I saw her with Eddie." Max continued.

"Did you tell all this to the cops?" Dustin joined.

"No. No, but I-I can't be the only one who saw them together, I mean they stood out."

"Eddie the freak with Chrissy the cheerleader?" I repeated.

"Exactly. You know, his name's not in the news yet or anything, but I guarantee you Eddie is suspect number one right now."

"That's crazy." Dustin and Max continued talking as I sat in silence trying to let everything sink in. It was so sudden and crazy.

Dustin sat on the bed next to me. "Why haven't you told the cops this?"

Max joined next to him. "After I saw Eddie and Chrissy go in the trailer—something else happened." She paused. I zoned out, still trying to make sense of everything before being pulled out of my thoughts again. "This morning, I started to think back, and— I don't know. The look on his face. He was scared. Really scared. Maybe he was scared because, y'know he just killed someone or— maybe um— maybe b-because.." She started stuttering like a broken record.

"Something else killed her." Dustin spoke again. Max nodded.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah. What do you mean? SomeTHING?" I chimed in.

"It's a long story."

"Try me."

"No really like.. this started three years ago. We haven't gotten a break from it since."

"We'll explain it some time. But right now this sounds impossible— right?" Max replied.

"I don't know. It should be." Dustin whispered. "There's only one person who knows what actually happened."

"Eddie."

The three of us left Dustin's room, heading god knows where. I didn't even want to ask.

"Have you talked to anyone else?" Dustin asked.

"No. I can't find Lucas or Nancy, and Mikes in—"

"California. Shit, shit, shit."

I tried my best to keep up with their pace.