Six

Eddie and I didn't talk about about what happened at the boathouse. The kiss and the argument. I think we both agreed it was awkward to admit to.

We walked for hours until it got dark. We pushed through bushes every ten minutes. Dustin looked at his compass and a grin spread across his face.

"Something's happening."

"Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie ran after the boy.

"I think we're getting close!" He said as he almost tripped.

"Watch your step big guy." Eddie pulled him back.

"Oh man. You gotta be shitting me." Steve panted.

"Yeah. I thought these woods were familiar."

"Lover's Lake." Robin said out of breath.

"This is... confounding." Dustin admired everything while everyone else stood confused.

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?"

"Whenever the Demogordon attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way." Nancy turned back at us.

"Yeah only one way to find out."

We got Eddie's boat that washed up on the shore and with me still shaking, I volunteered to babysit while Steve, Nancy, Robin, and Eddie got in the boat to find the gate. Eddie hopped in roughly, followed by Robin, Steve and Nancy. I noticed Eddie sending me a quick smile before they started leaving.

"Bedtime at nine kiddos!" Robin called. "Miss you already!"

"I'm 19!" I yelled back.

After a while of paddling, they suddenly stopped. Dustin immediately took the walkie.

"Guys, what's going on? C'mon guys talk to me what's going on?"

"Uh— Dustin your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital—ahhh" Robin cut off.

Steve stood up and took his shirt off, preparing to get in the water.

"Eughh. When'd Steve get so hairy?" Lucas groaned.

"Right? I keep telling him he needs to tame that jungle but he claims the ladies dig it."

"Okay Dustin, 'tame that jungle'? Really?" I groaned as well. Dustin shrugged.

"Let me see." Max took the binoculars from Lucas, trying to see the four of them.

We waited as Steve dove into the water.

"You guys realize.. that theres a gate in water? Watergate!" Dustin laughed. Lucas, Max, and I were not amused.

Dustin mumbled under his breath. Steve had been in the water for a while. Suddenly we heard walkies coming from behind us.

"Shit! Down!" I whispered.

We hid behind a tree, waiting for the cops to pass. They sounded like they were really close.

"Dustin you're a goddman Einstein. Steve found the gate—" Robin came on the walkie but Dustin turned it off.

"Cops."

"Shit. Shit."

"We can't let them find Eddie." I muttered.

"Hey. Stay with me." Max stood up and called to the cops. "Hey! Officers! Over here! I found the killer! This way!" We shushed her but she continued lead the cops. I stayed back, not wanting to leave Eddie. Knowing me, I was definitely a narcissist but I was good at hiding it. Normally I would've sprinted out of the woods but something held me back.