Four

I was shook awake by someone, causing me to lose balance and fall over to the other side. I caught myself with my hands behind my back before I hit the dirty ground.

"Morning, pookies. Looks like you got along just fine." Dustin smiled wide in my face.

I looked to my right and saw Eddie staring right back at me, just as confused.

"Whatever. I'm hungry." I hopped into the boat, sitting like an angry child.

Eddie hopped in next to me and Dustin put bags of food in the boat with us. It was tight in the boat, making Eddie and I squish together which was uncomfortable. The two of us fought over the cereal while the four of them filled us in.

"So we got uh— some good news and some bad news. How do you prefer it?"

"Bad news first, always."

"But I want good news." I whined. Eddie glared at me.

"K, fine. Jeez." I stole the cereal back from him.

"Alright bad news. We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for Eddie. Also they're uh— pretty convinced you killed Chrissy."

"Like 100% kind of convinced." Max added.

"Good news?" I ran a hand through my messy hair.

"Eddie's name hasn't gone public yet. But if we found out about you it's only a matter of time before others do too. And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you." Robin joined.

"Hunt the freak, right?"

"Exactly."

"Shit."

"So, before that happens, we find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence."

"That's all, Dustin? That's all?"

"Yeah, no, that's pretty much it."

"Listen, guys, I know everything Dustin is saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this kinda thing before. I mean— they have— a few times, and I have once. Mine was mire human-flesh-based, theirs was more smoke-related, but bottom line is, collectively, I really feel like we got this."

"Yeah- see, we usually rely on this girl who has superpowers. But-uh, those went bye bye so.." Steve added.

"So we're technically in more of the..."

"Kinda..."

"Brainstorming phase."

"Brainstorming." Steve snaps.

"There- there's nothing to worry about."

Eddie looks at them in silence.

"Cereal?" I hold the box in front of him but before he could accept or deny it, police sirens came from outside.

"Shit."

"Tarp. Tarp." Robin points at the tarp and Eddie pulls it over both of us before I could protest about me not being the so said "criminal".

We laid under the tarp together, I instinctively took his hand in fear. Shit. Why did I do that? Eddie didn't stop me and I was way too afraid to do anything. The sirens got louder but passed quickly.

We heard the four of them leave and I finally sat up, pulling the tarp off. I jumped out of the boat and shuffled through the bags for a drink. I took a soda and popped the lid off with the side of the boat. I only took one sip before shoving my hands in the pockets of my flannel. I felt something in the right one and pulled it out. It was the weed I got from Eddie.