Chapterish 1

| LA |

LITTLE BLACK BOX

I tuck the loose curl behind her ear as she leans in to kiss me. I admire the scent of her skin and the way her cheeks flush with satisfaction. I love the way she pulls the sheets up around her but makes absolutely zero effort to cover herself up.

"That gets better every time," she exhales in a laugh. She rolls over onto her stomach and kisses my shoulder. "How is it that it gets better every time?"

"Practice makes perfect," I joke. 

"Well, sign me up to practice for life," she says, smirking.

"Noted."

"Gross. It's 2 AM." She tosses her phone back onto the bedside. "What time do we have to be there tomorrow?"

"We don't have to be there any time in particular," I answer, yawning.

I'm dead tired after the day we had. This is what I get for staying at that boujee party in the Hills all night, and for agreeing to fool around afterwards. Worth it.

"Like 10ish?" She asks?

I nod in agreement, watching the moonlight reflect in her wide eyes. Damn, what a sight.

"I'm going to that little stand with those wheatgrass smoothies you like tomorrow. Then hitting the studio. Do you want to come with me in the morning?" She asks.

"Don't tempt me with wheatgrass," I say, nudging her in the ribs. "Do you want to hit the gym with me? Or I think you still owe me a run."

"At 5AM? Your favorite time to work-out?" She rolls her eyes. "I'll kindly pass."

"One of these days you'll agree," I tease.

"Just like one of these days you'll come to the studio with me," she says, spitting out her tongue.

"We'll see who caves first," I grin.

"Guess we will." She shrugs.

It will be her. It's always her.

"Counteroffer: I'll get the smoothies after the studio and we can meet at the store," she says, fanning her hair behind her head, revealing her gold earrings.

"Thank God for compromise." I kiss her pink lips.

Her yawn is contagious, and I can feel myself hitting the breaking point. I stretch my arms behind my head and, motionless, watch her drift off to sleep.

My phone buzzes with a noti. I wonder who on earth could be bothering me at 2 AM but quickly remember it's already 5 AM back on the east coast. A perfectly reasonable time for Brody to be up (no doubt hitting the gym) and texting me.

U guys up?

Course u r

When's the launch again?

I can't help but roll my eyes as I type back an answer to Brody –the same answer I've given him every time he asks. Typical little brother behavior.

Still hasn't changed

June 15

I lock my phone shut and drop it to my side.

I think about the launch, worrying about the confirmed attendees, its success, and of course its implications.

Edge Fitness Apparel is officially opening its flagship store in downtown LA. Cue the applause. Cue the lights, camera, and anxiety. I mean action.

"Oh, shit," I sigh, barely audible, and exhale deeply.

I rub my own eyes to try and focus. I pull my phone back up and check the date –the same exact thing I do every single night.

T minus 2 months until the big day. I know there's a whole month between now and then, but it feels like June 15 is right around the corner.

I can't believe it's already mid-April. Can't believe how quickly this whole thing has come together. The prime real estate location and speedy construction, the constant marketing and endorsements, the crippling hype and hysteria.

The last two are what keep me up at night. Edge has sort of blown up over the past year. When I got back from the trip after Trix and Travis's wedding, I started buckling down, getting more ambassadors and brand partners and revamping Edge's entire image altogether.

It's been a roller-coaster and not even a new one. It's been like the old rickety kind made of driftwood found under boardwalks and that give you whiplash so badly you just can't wait to ride it again.

Part of me thinks it's the dormant splinter of my dad in me that's starting to break through and finally take control of my life. My eyes dart to the dresser across the room, to what's inside it.

I'm taking control in all aspects of my life.

...

I roll over and blink the yacht from my mind. I blink until the cerulean ocean becomes nothing more but the dark blue of my comforter. As the last remnants of my dream fade away, I stand as quietly as I can and leave the bed behind. A muffled traffic soundtrack seeps into the room through the cracked window above the bed. I'm so used to it now. It's almost just white noise. LA, baby. At least the half-burned Volcano Air candle makes it smell nice. Citrus city smog nice. Another thing I'm used to, but at least it comes with palm trees.

A yawn escapes my lips as I rub my eyes awake. My phone on the bedside tells me it's 4:59 AM. Why do I bother with a 5 AM alarm?

My apartment is massive and made almost entirely of glass. No privacy. No problem. The views though –I'm not complaining.

I look back at the bed and smile at what I left behind there. That naked body never gets old.

I pick up a rogue heel and toss it on the chair. I walk to the dresser against the far wall and, like I've done every morning for the last month, pull open the top drawer. My fingers fumble over pairs of socks and cotton briefs and a silky red thong, searching for the black velvet box. I flip it open and lose myself in the diamond. Clear with all the clarity in the world, it could fucking cut my heart in half.

I look back at the bed, solidifying my resolve.

Still...

Sometimes I can't believe I ended up here.

Sometimes I can't believe it's been one year since I've seen Emmy.

[AHHH!

What did you think of the first chapterish? I canNOT wait to share more with you Bremmies <3]