Chapterish 25

GHOSTS OF GUYS

I wake up on Saturday morning to a slew of texts. Story of my life.

Cece is already gone. She had some shoot early today. I told her to take off, considering the premiere was last night and the after party was likely to run into the morning anyway.

We ended up home around 2 AM, which isn't too bad all things considered.

I see a sticky note on her pillow. Miss you. Kiss you.

So I pull open my phone and expect to see 20 questions in OG ECs, but instead I bolt upright in bed.

YOOO

Pick us up bitch

We took the red eye. We in LA

Here for my sweatshirt...

What the fuck!

I look at the time stamp and see it's been 27 minutes since Travis said they're in LA.

Pulling on gym shorts I snatch up my phone and call Travis.

No answer.

Nate.

No answer.

Alex finally picks up and I hear laughing and loud music in the background. Feel like I'm still at the party last night.

"Yoo man. Sup," Alex says into the phone.

"You tell me, dude. You're in LA?"

"Hell, yea we are!" Travis shouts.

"What the fuck. Why didn't you tell me." I curse.

"We said the weekend," Nate answers.

"Yea, but we never scheduled a weekend," I rebut.

"Well, we're here." Alex laughs. "En route. About 20 minutes out."

"Don't come here," I say, groaning. "I've got to get to Edge. Meet me right there."

"Hear that, Travis?" Alex asks. Travis must be driving a rental.

"Yo text us the address." I hear Travis through the phone.

"Will do." I say into an empty phone as they hang up.

Shit.

I'm stoked like a dying fire to see the guys but was not expecting them to make this trip before NYC, which is next weekend!

I shower last night off me, the smoke and perfume and Cece. I chug a protein milk and am out the door in five minutes tops.

The routine jog feels extra-long, no doubt it's the excitement.

I haven't seen the guys in about 6 months. I was home a month or so ago, but only for a night and I only saw my mom, Brody, and Lauren for dinner. It feels comforting to know they'll be here, touring Edge. Comforting but strange.

Without really trying, I've done an incredible job at keeping my east coast and west coast lives separate. When two worlds collide...

I walk into Edge wondering if they beat me here.

"Hey Brooks," Javier greets me.

"Hey man," I say.

We aren't open yet, since it's only 8 something o'clock, so there're no shoppers yet. I'm surprised Miles isn't here–

"Miles is using the gym," Javier says, reading my mind.

"Ah, got it." I toss my keys on the counter. "So, my friends from home are here for a visit. I'm running to the rooftop. Just send them up when they get here."

"No prob," Javier nods.

I leave him folding stacks of crewnecks on the counter and I climb the spiral stairs.

I am barely on the roof for three minutes when I hear car doors slam shut and I hear the boys. I return inside and am halfway down the stairs when they walk through the front doors.

"Yooo!" Alex shouts.

"Hey, guys," I say, reaching the bottom and definitely not hugging them since we're dudes.

"Hey, Brooks." Travis claps my shoulder.

"Hey dad!" I laugh.

"Hey man." Nate head nods.

"I can't believe you guys came here," I say, shaking my head. The smile on my face right now sure beats the 7-hour one from last night.

"We had to see this place on opening weekend," Alex says.

"Yea, we're your biggest fans," Travis says.

"Yea, yea," I laugh. "Where you guys staying?"

"Crashing at your place, duh. You've got a couch, right?" Alex grins.

I roll my eyes but just shrug. I'll have to text Cece about our unexpected house guests. She's chill as shit so I know she won't mind. In fact, she'll love meeting the guys.

"You guys want the tour then?" I look around.

"Yea," they all say together.

"Okay, well this is the main floor," I say, indicating the entire showroom. "Where you can get the actual Edge clothes. Then the gym and lounge are levels up –And the rooftop is my favorite. Wait til you see the bar."

I give the abbreviated tour, the abridged version that I gave Cindy Star. This one is much more enjoyable.

Travis, Nate, and Alex are enthusiastic guests/tourees. I realize that Edge must seem pretty impressive from their shoes. My whole life must seem pretty impressive. Well, my west coast life at least.

But unlike Randa and Florence and Pez and Banko and Daya and all the others –these guys know the real me. The old me. The used to have braces, will always be a scrawny 12-year-old to them me.

My smile falters as I realize I'm forgetting someone else from the list. Cece.

Maybe it's best some people will never know the old me. He wasn't exactly my favorite person and I'm betting I need to take a number for that.