Chapterish 12

BACK BAY BABY BLISS

I wake up at sunrise, my internal clock keeping up with whatever time zone I'm in. Josh's green hoodie hangs like a dress over my leggings. It's my favorite running outfit.

I somehow manage to convince Zoë to join me on my morning run. Well, jog at least. It's a new hobby I picked up without remembering why or how. It helps pass the morning and refreshes my mindset each day, so I can't complain.

Zoë and I run to the Playa Bowl in town for some protein-packed breakfast bowls and organic coconut milk iced coffees. The Welcome to Pineappleland greeting hits me hard. We are clinging to the Bali vibes. It's fine.

Noon arrives before I know it and we walk towards Back Bay. My feet retrace the familiar steps, steps I've taken 1000 times in my life. Yet this morning they feel new. Maybe it's because I'm not expecting to find a raging party or weed fest on the other side of the journey.

It'll be an old married couple and their squeezable, rosy cheeked baby.

It's not that I'm far-removed from this place, this sleepy town that once consumed all of me. it's just that in my head, I'm already back home living my life with Josh. I'm back in Seattle, walking through Olympic Sculpture Park or riding the Seattle Great Wheel on the pier. I'm boozing through brunch with Demi and Tao and practicing aerial yoga with Zoë.

In my head, I'm living my whole new life. One that I couldn't have imagined post-T&T Day one year ago. One that's starting to feel more real than anything I left behind here.

I shake this all as I circle the side of Travis's childhood home, noticing the dent in the drainage pipe where Nate threw a beer bottle senior year, and climb the deck stairs.

"So this is the infamous Back Bay," Zoë says, looking all around in awe. "Vibe and a half. Already love it."

"Infamous last words," I laugh.

I pull open the door and am instantaneously engulfed by the nostalgic smells of seaweed and just plain weed. It's masked nobly by notes of citrus and something floral, but still the weed is there.

Alex and Nate are first to greet us. I hug them one by one and introduce them to Zoë. Somehow it feels like she's already been part of this group forever, a testament to how chill Zoë is. She gets along with everyone. Looking at you, Gil.

Meg and Lauren come out from the kitchen, each holding a baby bottle.

"Ahh! Emmy you're here!" Lauren hugs me tightly.

"Hi next bride in line!" I let her go.

My eyes can't help but search behind her for Brody. My link, as I call him. The last bit of undeniable proof that Brooks is in fact real and not one hardcore fever dream.

"Oh, Brody's not here. He's picking me up later, though," Lauren says, almost reading my mind.

Trix appears, holding a little bundle of pink blankets and wearing a pacifier like an oversized candy ring pop.

"Emmy meet Isla. Isla meet your mommy's bestie and your future horrible influence!" Trix teases.

I take Isla from Trix and settle into the corner chair. I look down at her perfect face and baby blue eyes and mine start to tear up.

It seems like yesterday Trix was telling me how she had a crush on Travis. It seems like an hour ago that they were this horny, lust-driven couple with tats and piercings who smoked too much and was as unadult as you could be.

Now I'm looking at a MF human being that's somehow got Travis's dark hair and Trix's cherry lips and somehow it all makes sense.

The baby bliss is real.

"She's going to be hotter than both of you," I joke, looking up at Trix and Travis.

"Let's hope she's at least hotter than me," Travis laughs.

I take the soaked burp cloth into the kitchen and toss it in the sink. I see Brody appear in the screen door and I can't help but smile.

I hate to say it, and maybe it's the time that's passed, but Brody looks more like Brooks than ever. Same dark hair spilling over his forehead, same mysterious eyes, same stupid presence that would make me line up to be in trainwreck.

Shit

"Good to see ya, Emmy." Brody scoops me into a hug.

He even sounds like him. FML.

"Hey Brody. Long time no see."

"It's been a hell of a year," he laughs, biting his lip.

"Sure has," I agree. "How's work? Lauren says you merged with your mom or bought her out or whatever. And how are wedding plans? Lauren letting you actually do anything?"

"Everything is good. Work is wow, busy like no other. And yes, every now and then I get to decide an appetizer or pick a table setting." Brody laughs.

"But we love her anyway," I laugh, shrugging.

"Are you coming to the New York Bridezilla I mean Plaza thing," Brody asks, grinning.

"Yes, yes. Wouldn't miss it." I nod.

"Haven't been to New York in years," Brody says.

"Me either."

I think of the last time I was in New York. It was actually the same day I found out Brody and Lauren got engaged. That day.

"It's going to be a lot of fun. We'll make it fun," Brody says, obviously trying to encourage me or make me feel better about the imminent encounter.

"Hey if we survived Mobile Star, we can survive this," I tease, eyes rolling.

"I have it on good authority Brooks will be on his best behavior." Brody assures me.

"Oh?" I nod.

"Cece."

He realizes as soon as he says it, and I can almost see the wince in his face as he does. So he's on talking basis with model Cece Majors too. Of course, he is, idiot.

"It's cool, Brody. Swear." I throw my hands up like I'm taking some stupid oath.

"I know. I just didn't mean to throw it out there," Brody admits.

About twenty seconds of wtf is happening silence elapses before I finally cave.

"So, what's she like?" I'm the cat curiosity killed. All 9 lives. I start to walk back towards the porch where everyone is waiting and Brody follows beside me.

"She's pretty cool, actually. Not what you'd think from all the tabloids and shit." He catches my eye. "Cool in a very non-Emmy way."

"Oh?" I ask, afraid to look at him. Do I even want an elaboration?

He talks fast and quiet above my head, meant for my ears and not Alex's, who's creeping on us as we enter the kitchen. "Of all his exes and all his almosts, you will always be my favorite."