befalling | lloyd g.

[Lloyd, and his thoughts on being captured by Harumi. Again.]

A/N: mhm, mhm, we're tryna catch up on summer of whump, also this book has hit 30 chapters~ yay!!! milestone!! 

• • •

Lloyd wakes up for a cage for the fifth time, head spinning with confusion and anger and hurt

The fifth time, he thinks dully, and reaches up automatically, hands hitting the cold ceiling of metal around him.  

His shoulder twinges with pain, and and he claps a hand to his mouth, muffling a whine of pain. It's only then he notices the blood pooling around his shoulder, leaking in a small pool of crimson, and suddenly wishes a whole lot more he'd paid attention to Zane's first aid classes. 

He presses a hand to the wound cautiously, a wince escaping as he does, and pulls out a bright dart, coated in a layer of thick blood. 

"You're up!" A bright exclamation rings out behind him, and Lloyd falls back against the bars with a loud sigh. He knows that voice, has heard it a few too many times, both in real life and in his nightmares. 

Harumi.

"Acute observation, really," he remarks as casually as he can, and watches her walk over from the doorway, steps light.

She raises a eyebrow, face painted with a malicious smile. "Has the green ninja found some guts? Not holding that little crush on my anymore?" There words are condescending; humorous even, but her tone slices into him like razors. 

"Long gone." he says, trying to hold his voice steady. 

The last time he heard her speak like that, he was about to drown in a cave, die in dragging dark waters. He wonders what's coming for him now. 

"I wouldn't sass too much though." She smiles at him, sweet as honey, and it's the most terrifying thing Lloyd's seen in a while. Considering he's been in a room of his greatest enemies, too. 

"You're gonna be stuck in this cage for a long while, and even though it probably won't take to much to get your little ninja friends running-" She pauses, and looks out the doorway. "You've pissed off a few people here."

"What makes you think they'll come for me?" Lloyd retorts, swallowing down a dry stutter of fear, because he knows that's exactly what they're gonna do. Rush into the hideout the instant the find it, all fight and no plan. 

"What if I break out?" He forces a small smile, one that he hopes looks braver than he feels right now. 

"You were always a dreamer." She gives a short laugh, and silver flashes between her fingers, a small blade dancing between her hands.

"You don't know anything about me." He says, voice hard and sharp. She doesn't. She doesn't know how much he's trained and cried and fought to get to this point, and she'll never get it. 

"You're our hostage, Lloyd. Don't think too much about breaking out. You're alone, and beating even one of the villains here took all six of you guys." She tucks the glinting knife back away into her shoulder strap, and leans against the bars, fingers trailing lightly across the vengestone. 

"For once, you're not going to be the hero you've always pretended to be." 

There's a long silence, and Lloyd feels unwelcome tears pricking at his eyes, dangerously close to falling. 

Hostage. 

Hostage means helpless and useless and defenseless, against every danger he's up against. Hostage means he can't fight, can't help the others defeat everything they need too, means he's alone.

He hates it.

 He hates it so much, and he can't do anything to stop it. 

"Why can't you just let me go?" He stutters, voice breaking, and Harumi says nothing, just another small smile before she turns her back to him, striding across to the entrance. 

"Please?" He begs quietly, just one last time, and the word is cut up with a sob he can't stop.

There's no response. Harumi walks out the door without a sound, and the metal slams behind her heavily, slamming the answer into his heart.

Everything hurts, and he just  wants to go home.

His tears falls to the ground like broken glass on the floor, and he hates it.